I got lucky today, gfi an extension protected the outlet gfi (which powers the back-up aerator), so that layout on a single outlet does work. I'm guessing from the flashing clocks that the power went out, and then came back on with lamps and growbed pumps both powered up at once, blowing the first breaker, but leaving the air pump running, working as a built in safety trip. The fish all seem to be fine. I drew out a line diagram of how it's laid out, and I've attached a photo, after working in cad all day, I can't bring myself to do any more of it at the moment. As you can see, wiring a small system off a single standard cgfi outlet isn't difficult with this arrangement. This also gives a very clear picture of this system's straightforward arrangement.
if you want to see the cost go to Week 2 @ yahoo.com or breakdown of specifics but know well, that the my plans for the growbed were overshadowed by my final work in school, and I killed those Tilapia through failure to pay attention to the tank. I then I moved the growbed downstairs where it belonged (after a disaster in the living room previous blog post ). The yellow tomatoes are now living room size bonsai, and should be quite picturesque very soon.
The biggest lesson that I've learned so far about growing tomatoes in this way too shallow grow bed and that the filters will get completely clogged with roots with the hydroton (grow media) right against them, I knew better, but I wanted to get the system together, and now have a silly maintenance issue. In case you don't know...the roots grow into a solid mass with requires great force and thorough cleaning to remove, expect to break chopsticks. With the installation of a piece of pvc around the fittings with holes in it (as is done many places here, here's an example in the upper left corner, PVC with holes cut into it to protect drain) I can resolve this problem. The tomatoes have become bonsai to me, which is more fun, and frankly, its gone from science experiment to living interior art piece. I know it's wrong. I won't apologize for it. I think my wife's going to get mad if I put the statue and candle of the Virgin of Guadalupe on the stand with it, but it will probably happen anyway.
I just recently removed the second powerhead that was hooked up to that tank and the aquatic blubs (read Wal-Mart, cheapies, survivors - Apogenton I think) which were barely clinging to life are starting to fare much better. Running with the aerator seemed like a more efficient choice and the tank is very well balanced and established, and since I don't have a battery backup I wanted to at least try and improve what I had in front of me. I'm grateful it worked.