The system has been running smoothly for the last month. There have been no issues or setbacks to deal with lately. The tomato has begun to cover the screen above it. I am starting to weave it through itself. The stems seem to take the curviest paths to their current locations. Aside from all the twists, the tomato is growing vigorously. I have to tamp down the vertical growth every couple of days. If not the tomato grows into the light, which may eventually burn the plant.
No flowers yet. I am starting to wonder if my lack of flowers has to do with my involvement. In the sense that I have chosen to grow a tomato indoors under mostly supplemented light. I am beginning to think that the lack of proper lighting conditions and possibly other environmental influences, like room temperature, stifle the growth of floral buds.
The habanero peppers are doing great. One has just begun to set it's sixth set of leaves while the other is working on it's fourth. The leaves look larger and healthier than most habaneros I have grown outside in Colorado.
The carrot greens are starting to lose their turgidity. (Noticeable in first photo) I am considering pulling them and calling an end to the aquaponic carrot experiment. The carrots seem to be quite small, both in length and diameter. This is a guess based on uncovering and peeking at the carrots' "shoulders".
I have also added 6 new goldfish. I originally added 10 but 2 died the first night, one the next morning and one that managed to sneak into my net. I accidently suffocated the little dude when I failed to notice a fish in my net until the next morning. I noticed a fishy smell and discovered a dry, warm, bloated fish in the retrieval net that I leave next to the tank. I feel stupid not noticing something so simple like that. Lesson learned though.
I will post again soon with updates!