I am working on my first aquaponic system, and retrofitting an Aerogarden for an inlet, an overflow, and a normal return for an ebb and drain system. I drilled three holes in the Aerogarden shell with a 1 1/8" paddle bit, and then made them slightly larger with a rotary grinding tool. I then fit all the holes with threaded drain fittings, and sealed them in place. The holes are positioned so that the overflow starts to drain when the "fill to here" mark in the aerogarden is hit (3.5 Quarts from my measurement). The normal return is positioned higher than I'd like, but I didn't want to put holes in the base plate. If this present problems, I'll add a siphon line which will hit the bottom of the tank. The water inlet is slightly higher than the overflow return. The water pump I'm using has a 60 gph flow rate, with 2 feet of lift.
I did my first leak test this morning, hooking up all the water lines, and the pump (with a 5 gallon bucket as my reservoir) and discovered that I'm going to need to re-seal the normal return. I'm re-sealing today and will re-test tomorrow.
I transplanted 7 strawberry crowns from my garden to a normal Aerogarden set up on 3-13-10, and as of this morning (3-16) I'm seeing new growth on 5 of the plantings. This will be the same unit I'm using for the aquaponic set-up, the cover, lights, internal pump and base will all be used on the new set-up.
I've got a new under gravel filter for my tank coming in the mail some time this week, so I'm confident that the whole system will be up and running by the weekend...pics to follow after its assembled.