Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

has anyone had any problems using hydroton pebbles recently?

the reason i am asking is because they have been recalled here (uk) due to the pebbles leaching out some nasties and increasing EC levels, possibly heavy metals. we can no longer get them from our supplier as they have had to recall them and are now supplying another brand. no one has seen any adverse effects within our industry (hydroponics) but its just a precaution.

i was just wondering if anyone has had any problems relating to fish? and whether the issue would be more of a problem for aquaponics? obviously heavy metals are not good.

just hoping my problems have nothing to do with it as the deaths im experiencing dont seem to add up at the minute. 

Views: 3191

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jan Ankney said:

I have had problems with "Mother Earth" hydroton purchased June 10.  When I put it in my system the pH went to 4.  Every day I added pH UP and got it to above 6, but the next day the pH was down again.

I just had the same experience with the "Mother Earth" hydroton brand. I wound up replacing it all with a different more PH friendly brand.

I started using PLANT!T from the beginning and have no problems with Ph.  Mine runs consistently at 6.6.  I did had a bit of problem with Ph after I cycled but since I have added Barn lime to my sump and now is steady as can be.  I have to add water to replace the evaporation anabout to right for the system to maintain that 6.6.  

re: "...they have been recalled here (uk) due to the pebbles leaching out some nasties and increasing EC levels, possibly heavy metals..."

Thanks for this information.  Where did you learn that it might have been due to heavy metal contamination?  Also, do you know if this was a voluntary recall, or one required by the UK government?  I would really like to know more about this.

Thanks

By the way, does anyone still have some of the original Hydroton that was made in Germany (made by Okotau/Oekotau, sold under name Easy Green)?  I am particularly interested in obtaining some small samples of what was sold in the last year or so of its production (i.e., before it was discontinued).  They could be used or unused.

Hi Tradewind,

I am trying to learn more about the recall and discontinuance of Hydroton (as well as the closing of the factory in Germany).  You mention some pretty specific information in your post (i.e., "as of the 28th of May.... Hydroton has closed it's production factory").  Can you tell me where you were able to find/obtain this information?  I have searched far and wide using Google and two other search engines, but I haven't been able to find any information on this topic--in fact, this particular discussion thread seems to be the only place on the web where this subject has been discussed at all.

By the way, does anyone know if this product was ever recalled in the United States?

Tradewind said:

I use PLANT!T clay pebbles.  Yeah, it is spelled right.  Not sure how one pronounces that.  Anyway it goes for about 30 - 31 bucks a 45L bag. 8 - 16 mm pebbles.  I like it.  I developed some issues with pH, but only after my tank was cycled and planted and then the pH was dropping.  That was easily cured after I buffered my system with Calcium Carbonate.  Now is runs 6.6 -6.8, plants are happy and the fish are active.  So, I feel confident it had nothing to do with the grow media.  Probably more related to my crappy water.  

It must be washed as there is a lot of red dust in the bags.  The easiest way is in small batches in a wheel barrow.  I was dumping one bag at a time into the wheel barrow, flooding it and then washing small quantities in a small waste basket until it ran clear.  It was pretty easy.

I do not know where you are quoting me from, certainly not from this thread.  But if I said something like that, it wasn't from personal knowledge but something I read on the web.  I do remember reading that hydroton was being discontinued by a particular seller and they stated the reason the plant was closing was because the quality of clay available to the company was no longer acceptable due to an increase in heavy metals , therefore the plant would cease production.  I think that was posted sometime early in the year as I was planning on using hydroton but since it was no longer available I went to Plant!t instead.  That is all I know sport.  It sounds like you are trying to build some sort of liability case, is that it?

Tradewind,

I do owe you an apology, as I mistakenly attributed to you a quotation from a post by "RupertofOZ" on the first page of this thread.  I have to say, however, that you unfairly mischaracterize my intentions in the accusation you concluded your post with.  There is an issue I would like to raise on forums such as this, but I would prefer to obtain more information about the stuff before I do so.

Tradewind said:

I do not know where you are quoting me from, certainly not from this thread.  But if I said something like that, it wasn't from personal knowledge but something I read on the web.  I do remember reading that hydroton was being discontinued by a particular seller and they stated the reason the plant was closing was because the quality of clay available to the company was no longer acceptable due to an increase in heavy metals , therefore the plant would cease production.  I think that was posted sometime early in the year as I was planning on using hydroton but since it was no longer available I went to Plant!t instead.  That is all I know sport.  It sounds like you are trying to build some sort of liability case, is that it?

posted this before, but there is a Belgian company producing expanded clay pellets:

http://www.argex.eu/en/

frank

I certainly did not mean to offend you.  However it was but a question and not a statement as you made to my alleged comments.  I am not offended, you were simply mistaken, yet it appears you may be.  It is unfortunate that candid comments would cause that reaction.  I do regret having asked the question.

elmo said:

Tradewind,

I do owe you an apology, as I mistakenly attributed to you a quotation from a post by "RupertofOZ" on the first page of this thread.  I have to say, however, that you unfairly mischaracterize my intentions in the accusation you concluded your post with.  There is an issue I would like to raise on forums such as this, but I would prefer to obtain more information about the stuff before I do so.

Tradewind said:

Umm, would you care to explain what exactly you believe Tradewind was accusing you of and whether or not you actually found that offensive? Please keep in mind that this is a forum; we can't hear your voice or see your face, which eliminates the vast majority of tonal and facial cues.

elmo said:

Tradewind,

Tradewind said:

Thank you for this suggestion.

Frank De Block-Burij (hygicell) said:

posted this before, but there is a Belgian company producing expanded clay pellets:

http://www.argex.eu/en/

frank

Glad I'm not interested in flood and drain media systems. One more reason to avoid them.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service