Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hi Everyone.  I'm wondering if anyone from Southern California can give me an idea about heating my fish tank.  I'm in San Diego county, about 7 miles from the ocean as the bird flies.  I'm a couple weeks from starting to cycle my new system.  My fish tank is two side by side IBC Totes outside the greenhouse.  My sump will be inside the greenhouse.  Will I need to heat my fish tanks in the winter?  Do I need to insulate them?  On our coldest nights we dip into the 30's in the winter, but I don't think it is very often.  Is 275 gallons of biomass enough to stay warm, especially considering the water is cycling through a warm greenhouse?

Views: 466

Replies to This Discussion

OK, so, July 9th is my last full day in town. I'm sure that we can fit in the tour, but I can guarantee that I *WILL NOT* have any bandwidth for planning, since I'll be leaving the area for good the next morning. And, I'll have to be able to sucker the wife and 2.5 yr old into the endeavor.

There’s another guy, Ernie Jackson, in O’Side that has a pretty impressive setup.  He’s a fish Jedi.

I wish we had more time, but this is the way it is.

I've seen Richard's system.  It's quite nice.  I was down there when he hosted Murray's seminar.

I've got 7/9 open, but I'm too far away for any of you to see my place the same day I see yours.  But if you don't mind me not reciprocating, I'd love to tour your systems.

OK, I could possibly do 9 JUL.  However, I need to be very clear that I have *NO* bandwidth for planning this event, because we move to FL the very next day.  We are being packed/moved on 5/6 JUL.  My tanks and fish were taken today, and my growbed is being acquired in the coming days.  So, fortunately, that's one less stop we'll have to make.

I'd love to see what Lonny & Clint have.  If we get to see Richard's place, great.  I also know that ErnieJ has a system in O'Side.  He's a fish Jedi, and I've contacted him via Facebook to see if he would be interested in participating.

All be well,

Holzmann

I'm in.  I'd be happy to help coordinate.  If anybody knows anyone else that would like to join us, please extend the invitation.  I haven't had any luck getting a response from Richard Fox.  I'll try calling him at some point.  Can we move the discussion to e-mail?  I don't want to post my address and phone number here.  Please e-mail me if you think you might be interested.  Feel free to share it with anyone else that might join us.

Thanks,

Lonny

loharp@gmail.com
Email sent.  :-)

Hey Guys- The Garden Tour Sounds Awesome- I would love to - BUT July 9th 2011 is my sons Second (big#2) Birthday. Is there anyway you guys can reconsider a different date? Any other day would work for me - ANY! I'd like to be part of this- we can all learn alot from eachother about AP- And that is just what we all need- I know I do!

Let me know - Growzay - I'm in San Clemente.  

We could try the 16th.

I'm open the 16th
hmmm, july 16 probably won't work.  I'll know tomorrow night for sure.
July 16 won't work.  I hate to do this, but what about the 23rd?

I'm no longer open the 16th anyway.  In fact, the 9th is the only day in July I'm still free for such a long drive.  But since you won't be seeing my system on this tour, my availability shouldn't affect anyone's calendar planning.

I realize it is going to be difficult for everyone to be available for the garden tour on a certain date..

If/when you guys decide on a date that works for everyone go ahead & schedule it- even if it is on the 9th- If you are all able to make that happen - by all means - do it while you can- I didn't mean to throw a wrench into the calender. My garden design can be seen on my page..

Thanks, Growzay

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service