Today I noticed that the water in my fish tank (res) is electrically charged! I unplugged everything and inspected the submersible heater no visible problems/cracks. I did the same with the pumps and I tested them individually in another reservior- there were no indications of a tingle/shock when tested individuallly.
I reconnected all the components and hooked them back up to the timers and there is still a tingling slight shock. I do have a few niks/cuts that sting alittle on my fingers. I know the feeling of being shocked - I definitley was feeling a slight shock! It is much less pronounced- but it seems it is still charged- I presumed it is a short- or a wire is exposed - or something internal with something but found nothing. I am going to re check it all again...
Is there any tips on how to discern if there is an electrical charge in the water other than relying on finger sensation-
I want to make sure there is no risks to the fish.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Probably a short or static electricity. On an outside chance, you may have created similar conditions to this with the plumbing of your system. Water battery
Probably not, but possible. The off grid guys might like the video.
Thanks for all your comments-
After I re-checked each of the pumps and heater & replugged it all in- there was no more shock... I'm still not exactly sure what was causing it. I will be checking daily from now on... by dipping a clean finger....
I agree with David to be very very careful. I am sure that one can rig something up to tell you if you have a short. Maybe use two wire connected to a LED and dangle one wire in the water while the other one touches the ground?
On a brighter note, a couple years ago I did some experiments with elctroculture that provided some interesting results. I'd sure like to redo and expand on those topics.
Does anyone have any experience with elctroculture?
Well, maybe it is just me - I dipped a finger this morning and - I still feel a tingling sensation. Nobody else can sense/feel the electical current. It is very minimal-but has me concerned...