Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Just kinda wondering if incorporating an ap project into the landscape is covered here. I'm not trying to be an ass (it's a natural talent I was born with) but I really dislike the plumbing nightmares I see. Since I kind of threw down on this I'll toss up the first picture and keep em coming as my project progresses with the intention of a minimal indication of something more than planters or a landscaped garden and pond.

The pictures show a modified (split) recycle bin mold I salvaged, modified and 4/5ths buried along with a section of the bin (the cover looking item) that was jammed in it causing its discard. An additional white bin is in the backgroud.  The half piece over the top is being evaluated as a shade and possibly a support for individual planters. Brickwork for walkway and a support base of concrete block for planters is being started with the intention of hiding all evidence of aquaculture or hydroponics.

Looking at a max water volume of about 700 gallons per bin used.

Views: 2224

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Aquaponics systems are like babies... they each look beautiful to their owners!  

There are a few systems that have been integrated with ponds and so forth that look really nice, and Carey Ma has some really peachy looking aquaponics display models that he has posted photos of in this forum.  Geoff Lawson also recently did a video about Urban Permaculture where he incorporated aquaponics into/around a converted pool.

Not for food, but this is aquaponics.   I agree that some considerations could be made to the systems for food production, but some people actually enjoy the utility look.   Kinda like an exposed engine on a hot rod.

I think aesthetics are something of personal preference but I am working on an indoor system that is to be showcased in our entry way. We are trying to move but first have to sell our house, in the HoA we live in, you cannot even have something so simple as a tote system or IBC system visible. (Part of the reason I am trying to move.)

I did search on youtube and found some people making systems that you could barely tell we there. My favorite was a canoe propped up that drained into a lovely koi pond and in the canoe was also functioning as their grow-bed. Quite clever. Best of luck!

We are currently designing a system that will be in our living room, and we really plan to keep the plants to herbs so it won't be extremely large, it will look good.

I'll load some pictures when we get it completed.

yes aesthetics a primary concern of mine. I have designed a series of in home models that look pretty decent. I think the unfinished look is a problem for those who wish to see aquaponics go mainstream. 

Ill post pictures once some are finished.

Carey Ma said:

Please look at:

http://aquaponicscommunity.com/photo/albums/carey-s-ap-store-in-bei...

Not too fond of the figures but that glass work is impressive. 

Yeah, I know. I originally designed this to be a teaching aid and thought the kids could grasp the idea better if I had Bambi drinking from the stream.

How about something like this?

Here's a picture of mine. I sure like it!

Todd

Attachments:

Carey Ma said:

Yeah, I know. I originally designed this to be a teaching aid and thought the kids could grasp the idea better if I had Bambi drinking from the stream.

How about something like this?

Yeah, that's beautiful!,

Hey I know it's off topic, but I lost my person in Skechup.  How do you include the figure?

Mine pops up every time i open the software. I am not sure where to find him but you can download many drawings done by Google and others. I'm still very much an armature user myself. Sorry. I had my better drawings done when I had an artist to barter with. I too lost my former helper. :( 

Carey Ma said:

Mine pops up every time i open the software. I am not sure where to find him but you can download many drawings done by Google and others. I'm still very much an armature user myself.

I figured it out.  In SketchUp click Window then Configure then drag the component to your drawing.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service