Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I keep reading about commercail aquaponics systems. But....can anyone list out any aquaponic businesses they know personally which turn a profit. I ask as I am keen to get started but we still seem to spend most of our time telling and advising each other on how to make systems hobby style but spend little if any time on the forum talking finance. Returns etc. I don't mean to sound hard but when you think about it 20-30 years ago hydropoics was in  similar situation with everyone trying to get it into a  viable place and suddenly it was main stream. And became a strong commercial farming business model which worked. Still is going strong. I'm hoping we'll go that way as well. So please reply with some firm data. Will be very useful for all of us. Thanks. Who knows maybe we'll be main stream before you know it. I for one do not want to wait another 20-3- years !  :)

Views: 158

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No responses. Interesting as it speaks volumes about where we are today with commercial systems......

Aquaponics is hydroponics with fish. That's the only real difference. Nutrients are supplied for the most part by fish waste instead of additives. If you'll visit Bright Agrotech on You Tube you'll get all the info you need about both commercially. I only personally know of one commercial local aquaponics operation. Check them out. www.greatlakesaquaponics.com

Good Luck!

Jeff,  thanks for info. I know Aquaponics  and hydoponics differ due to fish being nutrient. I'll looking forward to the day when it will become as simplified and "off the shelf" as the hydro systems are today.  I think we are nearly there, just the last few steps.! Thanks again.

Jeff S said:

Aquaponics is hydroponics with fish. That's the only real difference. Nutrients are supplied for the most part by fish waste instead of additives. If you'll visit Bright Agrotech on You Tube you'll get all the info you need about both commercially. I only personally know of one commercial local aquaponics operation. Check them out. www.greatlakesaquaponics.com

Good Luck!



Alan said:

Jeff,  thanks for info. I know Aquaponics  and hydoponics differ due to fish being nutrient. I'll looking forward to the day when it will become as simplified and "off the shelf" as the hydro systems are today.  I think we are nearly there, just the last few steps.! Thanks again.

Jeff S said:

Aquaponics is hydroponics with fish. That's the only real difference. Nutrients are supplied for the most part by fish waste instead of additives. If you'll visit Bright Agrotech on You Tube you'll get all the info you need about both commercially. I only personally know of one commercial local aquaponics operation. Check them out. www.greatlakesaquaponics.com

Good Luck!

There are off the shelf systems or rather components to build what you want. Bright Agrotech sells a neat grow tower system. I plan to put some of them in my GH this year. There are lots of companies that will build you any size system you want. Check out Rob Nash in the members list. He is doing commercial aquaponics in TX I think. commercial systems come in all shapes and sizes usually built to owners specs.

Thanks again.  I know there is stuff out there and maybe I just need to take hte step and get on with it. My earlier system with rafts had a 2000 litre set of fish tanks connected. Worked very well. Difficulty for me is travelling away from home for work. No excuse but can't do everything.... I'll keep following progress and watch developments.  

Jeff S said:

There are off the shelf systems or rather components to build what you want. Bright Agrotech sells a neat grow tower system. I plan to put some of them in my GH this year. There are lots of companies that will build you any size system you want. Check out Rob Nash in the members list. He is doing commercial aquaponics in TX I think. commercial systems come in all shapes and sizes usually built to owners specs.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service