Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

What is the best way to catch tilapia in an IBC?

Views: 933

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just a thought but some commercial operators place a net in their ponds before fish are stocked.  To harvest, they simply raise the net.  It may have some application in tanks.

You could lower the water level, which will make it easier to net them.

Thanks. I have lowered the water in the past, but it wastes water for one fish. if I want to do a complete harvest that would be OK. 
George said:

Just a thought but some commercial operators place a net in their ponds before fish are stocked.  To harvest, they simply raise the net.  It may have some application in tanks.

You could lower the water level, which will make it easier to net them.

Hi Conrad,

Someone on our site puts on a diving mask, half submerges his body with fishing net in hand. Looks kinda exciting to me! Investing in a kiddie pool as temporary storage for system water, so there is no waste of nutrient, and less stress on fish, can be an affordable solution. Pool can be folded and stored for future use.

Or a couple of 55 gal plastic drums for temporary water storage. 

1/2" to 3/4" pvc and fittings, zip ties, and bird netting; make a crowding/folding net.. easy peasy

I would go with a size 12 olive wooly bugger, barbless.

What do you mean, "... crowding/folding net.. "?

Keith Rowan said:

1/2" to 3/4" pvc and fittings, zip ties, and bird netting; make a crowding/folding net.. easy peasy

What is this? "...olive wooly bugger, barbless."?

Jeffrey Ihara said:

I would go with a size 12 olive wooly bugger, barbless.

i have a round tank, pic's of the crowding net here:

http://community.theaquaponicsource.com/forum/topics/howdy-from-ohi...

basically you make 2 frames (i'd use rectangles for an ibc) and connect so that the 2 sides swing together-i used to lengths of pvc 1 size bigger than the frame to make a hinge

Keith,

All I can say is wow. You certainly are ingenious and have a great set up. The vegetables certainly looking happy and green. Thanks for your idea. If my friend-made net doesn't work I certainly will use your idea. 

Happy Aquaponing

Conrad

Keith Rowan said:

i have a round tank, pic's of the crowding net here:

http://community.theaquaponicsource.com/forum/topics/howdy-from-ohi...

basically you make 2 frames (i'd use rectangles for an ibc) and connect so that the 2 sides swing together-i used to lengths of pvc 1 size bigger than the frame to make a hinge

all else fails .. worm and a hook :)

Conrad, I use folding nets to harvest my round tanks too, like Keith. They work great, that is until you have such a heavy load that you can't lift it :-)

My advice, drain that IBC, harvest fish, and then cut the IBC up into to growbeds and get yourself a round fishtank. You'll never regret it.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service