My aquaponic system set up in a small bedroom underneath a windowsill.
The system consists of:
- A bench made from a water bed frame, milk crates and paint buckets. Surprisingly able to support the mass of 2 adults
- 45 gallon Rubbermaid tote filled to about 12" in depth with water. Framed for support
- Two 10 gallon Sterilite totes plumbed out with 1/2" PVC and filled with Hydroton, expanded clay pellets, to a depth of 12". These are the grow beds.
- Bell siphon in each grow bed. Made from 1/2" and 1-1/4" PVC piping as well as a 4" PVC fence post. More on these later.
- 184 gallon per hour submersible pump. Plumbed to 1/2" PVC . Flow regulated with 1/2" ball valves
- Air Pump and Air Stone for fish.
- 30-60 gallon submersible water heater.
- 20 Comet Goldfish
- API Freshwater Master Test Kit for water quality. This is to test the pH levels as well as Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate. I record results on a chart daily.
- Omega One Veggie Flakes fish food.
The system has been cycling for about 11 days. I will plant around day 30, give or take a few days. I plan to plant carrots, green onions, cilantro, catnip and possibly a jalapeno. More will follow on the seeds I choose.
Look for more as the days go on.