Warnings or tips.
Well first, beware any drip tubing, 1/4" tubing will clog and need clearing out all the time. Avoid drippers or tiny fittings.
But how do you get the flows small enough not to simply overflow your bottles? It won't be easy especially if you get any plants growing a good root mass. 2 liter bottles and smaller are going to be rather restrictive to roots of any larger plants. Root clogging of the containers and drains is a likely issue.
How well will this work? Well how much time do you want to be spending painting/wrapping new bottles? I've seen many Bottle hydroponic systems but I don't know that they are doing more than providing a few herbs and lettuce nor if the system could support much more than an aquarium.
Daniel post these to your photo album. I suggest you make an album. Other wise we have to download each pic one at a time.
Oh ok Will do.
Michael Cosmo said:Daniel post these to your photo album. I suggest you make an album. Other wise we have to download each pic one at a time.
Well, I built a vertical system using an 80-gallon stock tank and 3 rows of 2-liter pop bottles, each dripping downinto the bottle below. I filled the bottles with lumps of coral and put the plants in peat pots on top of that, then tucked some coir wrapped in netting around the peat pots. I was careful to put the plant starts where the water drip would definitely get to them.I ran the water directly from the fish tank up to the top row.
results - basically worked pretty well. I've taken it down because the location was really too shady, but will build another vertical system as soon as I get time. I did have to check every day to be sure the drip streams were running properly, not overflowing out of the bottles. I added little strings running down from the openings in the top-row pipe to conduct the water at that level. After a while I started to get a lot of crud in the pump, so I added an overflow settling tank (5-gal bucket) with some fine netting draped across the top. I cleaned this every day and it helped.
I did notice that the plant roots didn't push far out of the peat pots, which they should have in that time.i don't know whether that was due to poor growth overall (shade) or poor water circulation through the rocks. I planted lettuce, beets, radishes, and leeks.
I had no problems with the system chemistry or the fish. I hope this is useful info (learn from my fail) and will let you know how the next one goes in a few months. It will have an inground pool for the fish, 2' x 5' x 3' deep, 2 stages of settling, and larger grow pots made of recycled cat-litter jugs.