Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Information

Filtration

For those who want to filter there solids and other filtrators.

What kind of systems?

What kind of material?

Why?

And that question your thinking about.

Members: 33
Latest Activity: Mar 27, 2017

Discussion Forum

will this work

Started by randy proctor. Last reply by Jeff S Jun 8, 2015. 2 Replies

I know I am new to the filtration discussion,  I need....some advice.  What I am trying to do, and I want to know if this will work    I have a IBC tank that will have fish (35) I would like to take…Continue

landscape feature filter issue.

Started by Michael Garver Jr. Jun 3, 2015. 0 Replies

Man, wish I had photos. tomorrow, I promise, it might make better sense.So I have a kiddie pool, 2 ft deep and 15 ft diameter. There is a pile of rock for the fish to hide, Blue Gill, Koi, and…Continue

landscape feature filter issue.

Started by Michael Garver Jr. Jun 3, 2015. 0 Replies

Man, wish I had photos. tomorrow, I promise, it might make better sense.So I have a kiddie pool, 3 inches deep and 15 feet diameter. There is a pile of rock for the fish to hide, Blue Gill, Koi, and…Continue

blind mosquito and their larvae

Started by randy proctor Mar 8, 2013. 0 Replies

will blind mosquito larvae that gets into your filtration system, will it harm your Tilapia?  Or what is the best way to get them out and whats the best way naturally.....to get them out. "without…Continue

Comment Wall

Comment

You need to be a member of Filtration to add comments!

Comment by mary proctor on July 16, 2012 at 4:24pm

we just found out about K1media.  We would like to have feed back on how to utilize it.  We have a small business selling Tilapia fries and fingerlings.  also aquaponic systems.  We have 4 IBC totes with lots of Tilapia in them.  wondering how to incorporate the K1media in one tank to take care of all 4 tanks.  We currently have biofilters on each tank. We have many aquarium  tanks with regular filters in them.  Looking forward to discussions.  Mary & Randy Serenity Springs Aquaponics.

Comment by marty lininger on May 11, 2012 at 8:49am

I want to estimate the size of duckweed bed that a specified fish population can support.  Any feedback I can get on my assumptions validity would be greatly appreciated!  Perhaps there is a logic error in my steps to calculate the size, please let me know!

My final calculation below seems to be way too much.  I do not know where I am erring.

Assumptions:

fish incorporate 30% of protein in feed, the other 70% is converted to ammonia  (1)

can get 95 gram of ammonia from 1kg of protein fed    (1)

1 gram of ammonia will feed 1 SM of duckweed  (2)          

duckweed can double in 4 days or less

constant population mass 1000kg of tilapia,       FCR of 1.5

consumes 1500kg of 30% protein feed in 1 year, consumes 450kg protein

 450kg protein x 95g ammonia/KG protein  = 42,750 g ammonia

which can support 42,750 SM growth of duckweed

harvesting half the crop every 4 days = 365/4 = 90 harvests

42,750 SM / 90 = 475 SM growing area per 1000kg tilapia fish

 

Other:

1SM of optimal density duckweed weighs  0.1 – 1.2 kg (0.65 avg) wet and is 93% water (3)

1 SM of optimal density avg 0.65 kg wet duckweed weighs 45 grams dry

1 SM naturally occurring duckweed in Orlando, FL dried weighs 100g  (4)

 

ref;

(1)    http://www.fao.org/docrep/X5744E/x5744e0e.html

(2)    Kobus Jooste post

(3)    Various sources

(4)     Own observation -but was it optimal density?

Comment by Mörður Gunnarsson Ottesen on January 6, 2012 at 6:48pm

Is Matala mat food grade safe?

What would be the cheapest way to buy it (in general, not thinking locally)?

These are matala mats:

http://pondsolutions.com/Pond_Supplies/Pond-Supplies-Pond-Filters-F...

 

Members (33)

 
 
 

© 2019   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service