Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

As suggested, I'm adding blog post below to "forum"..still need to learn how best to use this site.Thks.

 

Can anyone advise what the difference is between using Dow blue boards and the white 2" styrofoam at Home Depot. Do the dow blue boards need to be painted? I don't know if I would ever try to be "Certified Organic" but I would want to do what is safest.. Does it make a difference? Thanks.

Views: 2284

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The white will degrade in the sun also make sure you get the Dow blue boards. The other blue board sold at home depot is toxic to both fish and plants. no need to paint the Dow blue boards. As far as organic certifacation it depends upon who you are going through for your organic certifacation.
Hi Earl, Thanks for your reply. I am wondering what people are using that have white rafts. I really prefer the way it looks to the blue. It's also what is in the UVI pics I have.
Michelle Silva said:
Hi Earl, Thanks for your reply. I am wondering what people are using that have white rafts. I really prefer the way it looks to the blue. It's also what is in the UVI pics I have.
I think uvi is using the white styrofoam but if you look at some of the pictures on the USDA site you will see it is degrading from the sun. What happens is it get crumble and little peice break away. I have thought about using pallet deviders. These are used by the meat industry to put between layers of boxes.These float and come in black or white but I have not experimented with them yet.
From what I can tell, Friendly's (who model their system somewhat on UVI) paint the Dow blue boards with bright white exterior latex semi-gloss enamel. Is this what people typically use? I worry though that the rafts will eventually start decaying, possibly leaching chemicals into your system. I wonder if they have to repaint the rafts frequently.

I'm trying to think of something else to use for rafts, to get away from DBB+paint. I've been thinking of reinforced (with wood?) LDPE liner, or maybe just a floated board of food-grade HDPE. Any ideas? Is DBB really the best raft material to use??
Greener, I had the same concerns and thoughts about using something different. When I first started looking into this, I wasn't able to think of something else that would be economical and simple to work on a small commercial scale system. I had resigned to using the white styrofoam,wasn't planning on painting it, but someone mentioned recently that is how Friendly's did and know they are certified organic. I would be even more concerned with leaching if it's painted.

Greener said:
From what I can tell, Friendly's (who model their system somewhat on UVI) paint the Dow blue boards with bright white exterior latex semi-gloss enamel. Is this what people typically use? I worry though that the rafts will eventually start decaying, possibly leaching chemicals into your system. I wonder if they have to repaint the rafts frequently.

I'm trying to think of something else to use for rafts, to get away from DBB+paint. I've been thinking of reinforced (with wood?) LDPE liner, or maybe just a floated board of food-grade HDPE. Any ideas? Is DBB really the best raft material to use??
wow, haven't heard about the breaking down and crumbling, that's a bit disturbing. I wonder how long that takes.

Earl ward said:
Michelle Silva said:
Hi Earl, Thanks for your reply. I am wondering what people are using that have white rafts. I really prefer the way it looks to the blue. It's also what is in the UVI pics I have.
I think uvi is using the white styrofoam but if you look at some of the pictures on the USDA site you will see it is degrading from the sun. What happens is it get crumble and little peice break away. I have thought about using pallet deviders. These are used by the meat industry to put between layers of boxes.These float and come in black or white but I have not experimented with them yet.
I did see one small set up on you tube once that had wood slats raft w/ holes with floating bottles to make it float, but then the plastic bottles could leach as well,lol! I thought it woul be way too much hassle to make on a larger scale.
The breaking down should not happen with the DBB

Michelle Silva said:
wow, haven't heard about the breaking down and crumbling, that's a bit disturbing. I wonder how long that takes.

Earl ward said:
Michelle Silva said:
Hi Earl, Thanks for your reply. I am wondering what people are using that have white rafts. I really prefer the way it looks to the blue. It's also what is in the UVI pics I have.
I think uvi is using the white styrofoam but if you look at some of the pictures on the USDA site you will see it is degrading from the sun. What happens is it get crumble and little peice break away. I have thought about using pallet deviders. These are used by the meat industry to put between layers of boxes.These float and come in black or white but I have not experimented with them yet.
That was a farm in a box not a good design in my opinion. I like media based systems over rafts for small scale even for large scale depending on whats grown, anything with a large root structure will do better in media based system.

Michelle Silva said:
I did see one small set up on you tube once that had wood slats raft w/ holes with floating bottles to make it float, but then the plastic bottles could leach as well,lol! I thought it woul be way too much hassle to make on a larger scale.
I saw that video too. I suppose untreated wood could work, though it would probably develop algae and could break down quickly.

What about floating a hard, food-grade, UV-resistant HDPE board (with holes cut) floated on capped PVC tubes??

Earl -- how long does DBB last before it starts breaking down (flaking, cracking)? I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't break down quickly, especially unpainted and in the sun. But I have never seen the stuff in person.
HI Ernie,
Thanks for you reply..wow,how weird, I have this catalog and was just looking at this page earlier today!
I think I'm more comfortable for some reaon w/ the styrofoam than with foam. It rolls up so would think it wouldn't be easily lifted, although could work if not lifting out of the system.

ernie.j said:
Have you considered Farmtek STK#109243 cross linked HDPE foam made for floating raft lettuce systems?
http://www.esapco.com/1070/f/p074-075.swf

very interesting Ernie, I will look into this. Thanks!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service