Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Are you trying to figure out what pump type you should get?  A special part for a siphon?  AC/DC aerator? Something to use for a grow bed?  Post your questions here and get help from other members.  

Views: 1148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't know that much about 12V stuff but I have heard people say the 12v bildge pumps don't last terribly long so be sure to have backups if that is the way you go. When I was setting up my battery backup system, I originally was going to use a 12 volt air pump but for the amount of system I had, the model available would not have done the job so I was convinced to go with a 110 air pump and use an inverter for the backup.

To go off grid with system, I expect you will need a fairly large alternative energy source or it will need to be a very tiny system. Please don't expect to eat a fish a week from a system with only a solar floating fountain or something like that. (I don't really think you were planning on that but I've seen posts where people did seem to think they could run a heavily stocked tank that way.)
This is a beautiful aquaponics system that I think is in Taiwan. Can anyone on this forum tell me how I can do this?!! There's many posts to his videos asking for info on how to do it, but no response with how to info. The floating planks are pretty cool too! I think I saw somewhere that they manufacture them,but don't have a supplier in the US.
http://www.youtube.com/watch v=lVFNhX9ZxAA&feature=related
can't find the video your are talking about

Michelle Silva said:
This is a beautiful aquaponics system that I think is in Taiwan. Can anyone on this forum tell me how I can do this?!! There's many posts to his videos asking for info on how to do it, but no response with how to info. The floating planks are pretty cool too! I think I saw somewhere that they manufacture them,but don't have a supplier in the US.
http://www.youtube.com/watch v=lVFNhX9ZxAA&feature=related
For some reason I don't think the you tube link takes you to the videos. you may have to search for it, but believe me it's worth checking this out! IT is incredible. I would LOVE to do this type of system. Search "hsm8678" on youtube and you will see over 20 incredible videos on his system. .some of the following videos posted by this guy to check out are "a floating island","aquaponic shrimp and vegetables" "roof top hydorponic aquaponic" Enjoy.

Michelle Silva said:
This is a beautiful aquaponics system that I think is in Taiwan. Can anyone on this forum tell me how I can do this?!! There's many posts to his videos asking for info on how to do it, but no response with how to info. The floating planks are pretty cool too! I think I saw somewhere that they manufacture them,but don't have a supplier in the US.
http://www.youtube.com/watch v=lVFNhX9ZxAA&feature=related
HI Aleece, I just noticed that the link didn't work and posted more info.

TCLynx said:
can't find the video your are talking about

Michelle Silva said:
This is a beautiful aquaponics system that I think is in Taiwan. Can anyone on this forum tell me how I can do this?!! There's many posts to his videos asking for info on how to do it, but no response with how to info. The floating planks are pretty cool too! I think I saw somewhere that they manufacture them,but don't have a supplier in the US.
http://www.youtube.com/watch v=lVFNhX9ZxAA&feature=related
This system came up on BYAP quite a while back. I believe each single plant holder costs at least $5
I think you missed my point for posting the video. It wasn't just about the floating planks. The fish are inside with the plants.

TCLynx said:
This system came up on BYAP quite a while back. I believe each single plant holder costs at least $5
AND is there anyone on that site or this one that knows how to do it? I had just resigned myself to go ahead with the other way, with all the separate filters etc, becuase that is where I can get most info and help..started working on getting it set up yesterday and late last night found these videos.

Michelle Silva said:
I think you missed my point for posting the video. It wasn't just about the floating planks. The fish are inside with the plants.

TCLynx said:
This system came up on BYAP quite a while back. I believe each single plant holder costs at least $5
I'm curious who is selling them. I saw somewhere on his video that they weren't sold in the US.

TCLynx said:
This system came up on BYAP quite a while back. I believe each single plant holder costs at least $5
Use the share button on youtube to get the proper url to use for the link directly to the video
video
If the stocking density is really really low on the fish, you may get away with growing the plants directly over the fish tanks. And I think most of his systems are actually growing shrimp or prawns which need lots of horizontal space per animal but not much depth so they live happily under rafts. Friendlies does prawns directly in their raft beds.

Keep in mind that having the fish live under the rafts will make it difficult to harvest fish without disturbing all the plants. I don't think this guy harvests his koi. The prawn harvest probably only happens once or twice a year though so that can be scheduled into the planting schedule.

With rafts over the surface of the animal rearing space, one needs to make sure there is plenty of dissolved oxygen getting into the pond by other means. Some way to monitor dissolved oxygen would probably be necessary on anything like a commercial scale.

I've never found in depth details about his systems in English, I've only seen videos. I expect there are parts of the systems not shown in the videos (bio-filtration, solids filtration etc.)
Here's one of the links to his videos. I suggest watching others too from him..really incredible.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPAeBt5rqLk

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2020   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service