Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

has anyone had any problems using hydroton pebbles recently?

the reason i am asking is because they have been recalled here (uk) due to the pebbles leaching out some nasties and increasing EC levels, possibly heavy metals. we can no longer get them from our supplier as they have had to recall them and are now supplying another brand. no one has seen any adverse effects within our industry (hydroponics) but its just a precaution.

i was just wondering if anyone has had any problems relating to fish? and whether the issue would be more of a problem for aquaponics? obviously heavy metals are not good.

just hoping my problems have nothing to do with it as the deaths im experiencing dont seem to add up at the minute. 

Views: 3191

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dude, don't knock the flood and drain ;) I love hydroton; I've got two growbeds full of it and it has never given me any problems to date.
For small scale systems, I like flood and drain over other methods because you don't need to get rid of the fish solids. The addition of redworms cleans it all up.

Alex,   I agree.  I have both a flood and drain and my own little DWC system using 4" DWC.   I like them both for different reasons.  I like the fact that the clay media allows me to grow plants that require some foundational support such as tomatoes, cauliflower, peppers, and broccoli.  I use the DWC system to grow lettuces of various sorts, kale and spinach.  They both work very well.  I do remove most of the fish solids from the water with a simple radial flow clarifier. It does not seem to affect the grow beds as I have tried running the system with and without the clarifier and the plants do same either way. So I thought I would just keep things a bit cleaner for the DWC as it is on the end of the supply line from the fish tank. The DWC actually seems to develop root systems faster than the grow beds but then the plants are different so maybe not.

Alex Veidel said:

Dude, don't knock the flood and drain ;) I love hydroton; I've got two growbeds full of it and it has never given me any problems to date.
For small scale systems, I like flood and drain over other methods because you don't need to get rid of the fish solids. The addition of redworms cleans it all up.

I know this is an old thread, but hoping this reaches someone...I have this exact product (I'm in Wisconsin-purchased on 2013) and would be happy to send you samples, elmo. Anyone who has additional information regarding this product the discontinuation, any details I would be very grateful for additional information. Please contact me directly: stephanie_paulson@new.rr.com

elmo said:

By the way, does anyone still have some of the original Hydroton that was made in Germany (made by Okotau/Oekotau, sold under name Easy Green)?  I am particularly interested in obtaining some small samples of what was sold in the last year or so of its production (i.e., before it was discontinued).  They could be used or unused.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service