Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

this is a site for the aspiring aquapon to post their questions and have them answered by the more experienced members.  No question is too basic!  This is a great opportunity to tap into advice from some of the most experienced growers in the country.  Go for it!

Views: 1401

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It very well may take organic dirt gardening a couple years to develop better  balances in the soil, the same as AP takes time.  You have to build and promote the natural cycles in both when starting out.

Don't be afraid of adding worm tea, just do it slowly, not too much at a time, and do your water tests. My indoor system needed the extra punch. My outdoor system with a higher concentration of fish didn't seem to need as much. In both systems though the difference was noticeable after adding the active worm tea. Plants love it.

are there any laws preventing the sale if the produce grown using aquaponics? i live in New York City and im having a hard time finding anything related to the topic.

thanks in advance!

I am starting my AP system soon. I am not sure if I need more grow beds. My fish tank is going to be 150 gallon rubbermaid stock tank and I have 1 aquabundance grow bed I think it is 50 gallon. So my question is can I start the system up with this configuration and add grow beds later as long as I do not fully stock the fish tank? I am on a budget and trying to buy a little at a time until I have what I need. Comments and ideas needed...

Thanks...
You can do that, you will have to stock it very lightly but it will get you started on the journey.
Okay thanks.
I agree with Richard, William. You want to just stock at a lower level and probably just keep the tank half full.  AquaBundance beds are 60 gallons, BTW 

Percy,

As far as I know, there are not certifications or licenses needed specific to sell veggies (like if you were a farmer with a roadside stand) but these things are different in every state.  Certain foods require a commercial kitchen and fall under food handling guidelines rather than fresh produce (I think things like sprouts fit this since they are so fragile and can so easily be contaminated by the seeds themselves as well as the water they are grown with.  Selling fish of course will have some form of regulation and permitting in most states and of course be under food handling rules if you do anything but whole on ice.  I wouldn't worry to much about selling produce until you consistently have more that you, your family and friends can use.

Even if you may not need a permit or license to sell your extra squash and zucchini, you may still need a permit/business license to have that road side stand or to sell anything, the local government tends to want to get their cut of your business so to speak.  Heck around here you are required to pay the fee and get a permit for even a garage or yard sale.

Good Luck in your info search.

Thanks Sylvia and Richard.  I really love the aquabundance grow bed.  Very high quality can't wait to grow some veggies in it.  I will try to post some pictures when I get everything set-up.

Sylvia Bernstein said:
I agree with Richard, William. You want to just stock at a lower level and probably just keep the tank half full.  AquaBundance beds are 60 gallons, BTW 
Thanks for that, William!  Glad you like it.

thank you. i've got more research ahead! 

TCLynx said:

Percy,

As far as I know, there are not certifications or licenses needed specific to sell veggies (like if you were a farmer with a roadside stand) but these things are different in every state.  Certain foods require a commercial kitchen and fall under food handling guidelines rather than fresh produce (I think things like sprouts fit this since they are so fragile and can so easily be contaminated by the seeds themselves as well as the water they are grown with.  Selling fish of course will have some form of regulation and permitting in most states and of course be under food handling rules if you do anything but whole on ice.  I wouldn't worry to much about selling produce until you consistently have more that you, your family and friends can use.

Even if you may not need a permit or license to sell your extra squash and zucchini, you may still need a permit/business license to have that road side stand or to sell anything, the local government tends to want to get their cut of your business so to speak.  Heck around here you are required to pay the fee and get a permit for even a garage or yard sale.

Good Luck in your info search.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service