Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I started messing around with tilapia 2006-2010

2010 - the end of july i had to take  my system down

i am currently trying to get a piece of property to set up a scaled system.

basickly i dont have a system that is running

but i want to share my last 4 years with aquaponics

with members.......

Views: 11463

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

i bought these..i dont like buying seedlings...you dont know what you are putting into a system.

closed my eyes and planted them into system...they seem happy

Epic story, so encouraging. I appreciate your openness and humility in sharing your successes and failures. I've been entertained, educated, and inspired from your posts. Looking forward to seeing what's next.

thank's Darrin

Darrin Charbonneau said:

Epic story, so encouraging. I appreciate your openness and humility in sharing your successes and failures. I've been entertained, educated, and inspired from your posts. Looking forward to seeing what's next.

Hi All
Well most of the peppers seedling +-90 gone…..dead…so much for trying to full the system with peppers…try again later
In the system I have celery, basil, peppers and rocket.
The 12 celery and 12 rocket seedling I bought…
The basil I have grown from seeds and they are taking of now…I have a few +-6 small pepper seedlings that survived…..and then the old peppers I moved…..cut down and left to take out later…new leaves and flowering again…so I left all the old pepper plants to see what happens
The fish are happy and eating well…….and getting big
Still feeding worms and pellets 4-5 times per day….the duckweed is growing now so I don’t feed to the fish.
I am very happy with the changes I made to the worm/bio filter….the filter has no more smell and the snails and worms are doing well with the breaking down of solids coming from the fish tank.
The snails I think can be good for breaking down solids but their numbers have to be controlled…
And that becomes a headache
All and all I am happy
Yust me thinking

Hi Francois, the big question is the profitability of Aquaponics, from your experience so far do you think AP is profitable, or just a hobby? Can a person make an investment to get a good return?  

Are you comparing to buying the cheapest food possible or would you be comparing to purchasing high quality organics and saving on the medical bills?

Hi Safwat

......very good question

With the right management and design I believe it can and will be sometime in the future.

Time will tell

watch this space

Hi TC
Because I am not only feeding pellets, I try and buy the better...? expensive food.
Feeding my fish a few times a day and alternating pellets, worms and duckweed
I feel I have to use the better pellets for the fish.
Up to now my fish are healthy and the Kio that were 80mm long now are +-250 mm long and fat.(+-6 months...)
I am very happy with the results I am getting up to now.

The tilapia eat the same food as the kio.....

Sorry Francois, I was actually kinda trying to answer Safwat's question about profitability.

I think you are doing a great job with what you are doing.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service