Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hi everybody,

 

Im starting with a small system, but  i have plans in my mind for a 2000 gallon system. Im wondering how many watts it would take to heat 2000 gallons and keep it at 20degrees c?, The 2000 gallon fish tank will be buried in a  4 feet deep hole in the ground, the hole and the tank will be  inside a polytunnel. I know there are so many factors involved so a ballpark figure would be great. ps, i think the temp inside the polytunnel may be between 10 degrees c and 15 degrees c, id also like to know what would be the most efficient way to hold a 20 degree c temperature in the tank?. I'd wish to keep it off grid and am looking at a few systems,  including a woodburning stove.

 

thank you, best wishes, kevin.

 

psps im considering raising jade perch, is there a cold water alternative?

Views: 925

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Kevin,
Where are you based? Take a look at your minimum and maximum temperatures from Summer to Winter and work with a fish that is suited to your environment is the best advice I can give you.
Jade Perch prefer warm temperatures 20 - 28 C but will tolerate temps down to 15C if they have a bit of size on them but will slow right down in eating and growing. I am not sure that they are available in the USA as state restrictions will limit what fish you can work with.
If you live in a cold climate zone - why not choose a fast growing fish like Trout! Many warm climate people envy those that can grow out Trout so effortlessly and quickly in a cool climate zone. Work with a fish that is best suited to your climate and then - experiment with exotic breeds once you have the basics understood....Heating a 2000 gallon fish tank in a cold climate - will take a lot of energy and dollars. Don't throw your money away needlessly.
Hi frank,
Im based in Ireland where we have plenty of lovely trout and salmon. i was looking into jade perch because i read that they have the highest amount of omega 3 of any known fish, and tilapia because they grow fast, but after your helpfull message i am now researching trout, thank you frank. While researching 'hydroponics' i came across aquaponics, ( im one week in ) As i read how aquaponics worked i instantly saw the miracle that it is, It can and will save millions of people. Im having some very late nights. I feel that aquaponics is the most important rediscovery we will ever have as humans... As, a sustainable food source is a planet saver.
Thank you, best wishes, kevin.
Kevin, I can't tell you how great it is to hear from those who have newly discovered aquaponics and feel their excitement. I hope you get some sleep soon!

I am also extremely intrigued by Jade Perch. Has anyone ever seen it in the U.S., and, if not, why can't we find it here? Thanks
Hi Sylvia,
Jade Perch is an Australian fish found in the state of Queensland that has been shown to be a very hardy fish suitable for Aquaponics and also very high in Omega 3 fatty acids. It has been exported and raised in SE Asia but not to the US as far as I know. But it wont be long as it's cousin, the Barramundi has successfully made the transition to the US and is grown in Aquaculture systems successfully. Barramundi is reputed to be a finer tasting fish and also suited to Aquaponics but a little more difficult to grow out as it requires very well oxygenated water, pristine water conditions, very good filtration and warm water to grow out in. An ideal fish for Southern California and Florida people to look into growing and a change from the regular Tilapia that most people use. Having said that, people need to contact their local fisheries people and ask if your state regulators allow you to raise such wonderful fish.
cheers
Frank

Sylvia Bernstein said:
Kevin, I can't tell you how great it is to hear from those who have newly discovered aquaponics and feel their excitement. I hope you get some sleep soon!

I am also extremely intrigued by Jade Perch. Has anyone ever seen it in the U.S., and, if not, why can't we find it here? Thanks
Thanks, Frank. It was actually your blog post here that got me into thinking about Jade perch - it sounds amazing. I just put calling the Colorado Fish and Game department today on my to-do list...

Sylvia

Frank Gapinski said:
Hi Sylvia,
Jade Perch is an Australian fish found in the state of Queensland that has been shown to be a very hardy fish suitable for Aquaponics and also very high in Omega 3 fatty acids. It has been exported and raised in SE Asia but not to the US as far as I know. But it wont be long as it's cousin, the Barramundi has successfully made the transition to the US and is grown in Aquaculture systems successfully. Barramundi is reputed to be a finer tasting fish and also suited to Aquaponics but a little more difficult to grow out as it requires very well oxygenated water, pristine water conditions, very good filtration and warm water to grow out in. An ideal fish for Southern California and Florida people to look into growing and a change from the regular Tilapia that most people use. Having said that, people need to contact their local fisheries people and ask if your state regulators allow you to raise such wonderful fish.
cheers
Frank

Sylvia Bernstein said:
Kevin, I can't tell you how great it is to hear from those who have newly discovered aquaponics and feel their excitement. I hope you get some sleep soon!

I am also extremely intrigued by Jade Perch. Has anyone ever seen it in the U.S., and, if not, why can't we find it here? Thanks
hi Sylvia,
Thank's, im just glad to be here, i put my first system together today, it's a 160 ltr ft, and a 62 ltr gb, I also made a bell syphon, everything works but i think i need to restrict the outlet on the syphon

Sylvia Bernstein said:
Thanks, Frank. It was actually your blog post here that got me into thinking about Jade perch - it sounds amazing. I just put calling the Colorado Fish and Game department today on my to-do list...

Sylvia

Frank Gapinski said:
Hi Sylvia,
Jade Perch is an Australian fish found in the state of Queensland that has been shown to be a very hardy fish suitable for Aquaponics and also very high in Omega 3 fatty acids. It has been exported and raised in SE Asia but not to the US as far as I know. But it wont be long as it's cousin, the Barramundi has successfully made the transition to the US and is grown in Aquaculture systems successfully. Barramundi is reputed to be a finer tasting fish and also suited to Aquaponics but a little more difficult to grow out as it requires very well oxygenated water, pristine water conditions, very good filtration and warm water to grow out in. An ideal fish for Southern California and Florida people to look into growing and a change from the regular Tilapia that most people use. Having said that, people need to contact their local fisheries people and ask if your state regulators allow you to raise such wonderful fish.
cheers
Frank

Sylvia Bernstein said:
Kevin, I can't tell you how great it is to hear from those who have newly discovered aquaponics and feel their excitement. I hope you get some sleep soon!

I am also extremely intrigued by Jade Perch. Has anyone ever seen it in the U.S., and, if not, why can't we find it here? Thanks
Attachments:
Here are picture's just to give some idea.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2022   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service