Today I noticed that the water in my fish tank (res) is electrically charged! I unplugged everything and inspected the submersible heater no visible problems/cracks. I did the same with the pumps and I tested them individually in another reservior- there were no indications of a tingle/shock when tested individuallly.
I reconnected all the components and hooked them back up to the timers and there is still a tingling slight shock. I do have a few niks/cuts that sting alittle on my fingers. I know the feeling of being shocked - I definitley was feeling a slight shock! It is much less pronounced- but it seems it is still charged- I presumed it is a short- or a wire is exposed - or something internal with something but found nothing. I am going to re check it all again...
Is there any tips on how to discern if there is an electrical charge in the water other than relying on finger sensation-
I want to make sure there is no risks to the fish.
Has anyone else experienced this?
Clay, they sorted out what the problem was and fixed it.
And though you might not worry much about the fish (though hole in the head or lateral line disease can kill them before you get to eat them) it is more of a worry about the people who might get electrocuted when reaching into a tank to adjust the heater or feed the fish. You really don't want a short leaking electricity into your system.
Growzay, it sounds like your electrical system is not grounded! I was a sound engineer for years, and have experienced this quite a bit. The cheap and easy solution is to go to the Home Depot, Lowes, etc. and purchase a 2 prong to 3 prong converter. Make sure each and every device is connected via 3 prongs. (The third prong is the ground). Lastly, make sure that your home is grounded! There should be a copper rod or something similar that physically connects the electricity in your house to the ground in your backyard.
Once all your components are grounded, you should not experience this sensation ever again.
Hope this helps!
I know the problem is fixed but it is also a good idea to use a titanium grounding probe in larger tanks/ponds like we are dealing with here. Immerse the probe into the water and plug it in. Boom, grounded.
A grounding probe in the water will ground any stray electrical current in the water. It could be used by itself or you can also drive a rod into the ground and ground the whole house (which should probably be done anyway if it is not).