Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Today I noticed that the water in my fish tank (res) is electrically charged! I unplugged everything and inspected the submersible heater no visible problems/cracks. I did the same with the pumps and I tested them individually in another reservior- there were no indications of a tingle/shock when tested individuallly.

I reconnected all the components  and hooked them back up to the timers and there is still a tingling slight shock. I do have a few niks/cuts that sting alittle on my fingers.  I know the feeling of being shocked - I definitley was feeling a slight shock! It is much less pronounced- but it seems it is still charged- I presumed it is a short- or a wire is exposed - or something internal with something but found nothing. I am going to re check it all again...

Is there any tips on how to discern if there is an electrical charge in the water other than relying on finger sensation-

I want to make sure there is no risks to the fish.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Views: 1489

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

TCLynx-I put up a clamp light & I only use it at feeding time - they immediately associated the light with feeding time- they are doing a great job! Now I'm using the flourescent light under the table for clones & a variety of seedlings. I am taking cuttings off my blueberries and attempting to root them for a hedge I have in mind - I can never grow enough/too many -  My boy loves his blueberries!!! 

Thanks for the advice - Always !

Howdy.

Yea, my first post on aquaponicscommunity.com

Use a volt/ohm meter to see if there is electricity in the water.

Test when you feel the electric.  Test with everything plugged in.

If you get a no voltage reading, I'd keep the VOM at the tanks and check every time you are in the area.

Finger cuts and finger chemical exposures like bleach or cleaning products can produce an electric feeling to the skin.

I'd also make a local ground for the electric system.  A copper coated grounding rod driven into the ground and attached to the electric ground works good.

jim

Just had to weigh in again. First of all I'm not an electrician. Does your light have have a three pronged plug ? It sounds like you have agrounding problem or didn't observe the rules of polarity which generally works with AC and not DC. Recheck your wiring in your breaker box and at plug reciptials and make sure you didnt cross any wires. This could create a big problem later on and it might not be pretty.Just a hint new plugs are upside down to old plugs so you need to check  on the back and make sure. Also  non-polizered devices can cause these kind of problems. Hope it is as simple as your light.
Make sure your breaker is a gfi breaker for starters. I have had lights fall in water while I was cleaning tanks, without gfi I would be dead. I have had bad heaters before, unplug and test. Don't be stupid, get gfi!!
Thanks guys for the input- I no longer have any electical issues in the water- it was my light. I removed it.

David Kipperman said:
Make sure your breaker is a gfi breaker for starters. I have had lights fall in water while I was cleaning tanks, without gfi I would be dead. I have had bad heaters before, unplug and test. Don't be stupid, get gfi!!
All those answers are great.  I have many sytems and when bare foot on concrete I always feel some tingle  not sure why.  some times its bad  and I discover that pumps are usually the culprit.  If you take a stainles steel rod, solder it to a cordbut remove the white and black leads  then plug in ( only the ground wire) to the wall  you will find this disapates.  This tool helps prevent lateral line disease and hole in the head disease in fish. I t also adds a realm of safety to the tank.  One note of caution,, gfi is not the savior it proclames  i saw on u tube a drill dropped into a 5 galon bucket and  still did not trip the gfi for quite a while.  Do I use them?  YES  always when working in a water system,,hot tub,, pool or fish tanks
Thanks for the tips JJ- What do you mean it prevents lateral line disease & hole in the head disease- Are you saying those diseases become prevalent due to not having one of these stainless ground poles?  What causes them to contract the disease and how can it be related to the electric charge in the water? Is it because the microbes/bacteria biology is affected/ killed by the charge? How common are those diseases?

John Jay said:
All those answers are great.  I have many sytems and when bare foot on concrete I always feel some tingle  not sure why.  some times its bad  and I discover that pumps are usually the culprit.  If you take a stainles steel rod, solder it to a cordbut remove the white and black leads  then plug in ( only the ground wire) to the wall  you will find this disapates.  This tool helps prevent lateral line disease and hole in the head disease in fish. I t also adds a realm of safety to the tank.  One note of caution,, gfi is not the savior it proclames  i saw on u tube a drill dropped into a 5 galon bucket and  still did not trip the gfi for quite a while.  Do I use them?  YES  always when working in a water system,,hot tub,, pool or fish tanks
I expect it is that having a charge in the water is bad for the fish and those diseases are exasperated by it.

look up hole in the head disease online,,, these maladies are related to the areas of the fish that are sensitive to eclictricity,, fishes use the lateral line to sense the water around them  and stray electric does cause some issues. 

I also intend to drive a copper  grounding rod into the ground to ground my outside electric for an added measure of safety.  This also may help with the stray electricity issue.  A grounding rod will definatel help divert some electric from the fault ( should there be a short) to the groung efficiantly.

I work as a electric power plant mechanic so I have some electrical knowledge though I am not an electrician

I know you found the cause of the shock, but here is some info on a GFCI.

Hey- thanks alot Chi.

I know you found the cause of the shock, but here is some info on a GFCI.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service