Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Are you interested in growing commercially?  Do you already grow commercially?  This is the place for exchanging ideas and experiences, and making new contacts in commercial aquaponic agriculture

You might also consider joining the Commercial Aquaponics discussion group for lots more information and discussion

Views: 8485

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thank you Robert,

Perhaps I am mistaken, but this appears to be an advert for Purdue University Agriculture Extension Dept and refers to courses they are offering. You need a User ID and Password to log in and I do not seem to be able to view any info or pdf's. Could you please help and share a link or two on the subject areas you mention :-)

God bless,
Thanks Sahib, took the words out of my mouth :D After reviewing the site i was unable to immediately understand the nature of this group. Are they non-profit helpers or venture capitalist folk?

Sahib Punjabi said:
Thank you Robert,

Perhaps I am mistaken, but this appears to be an advert for Purdue University Agriculture Extension Dept and refers to courses they are offering. You need a User ID and Password to log in and I do not seem to be able to view any info or pdf's. Could you please help and share a link or two on the subject areas you mention :-)

God bless,
Hey everyone...I am in the research phase of a mid size Aquaponics farm and am having trouble finding actually industry data, as well where the heck do I start writing...can anyone help? Would anyone mind sharing their business plan to be adapted to the Columbus Indiana area? Anything will be greatly appreciated!!!

My business plan is posted at the group Coastview Aquaponics
David jones said:
Hey everyone...I am in the research phase of a mid size Aquaponics farm and am having trouble finding actually industry data, as well where the heck do I start writing...can anyone help? Would anyone mind sharing their business plan to be adapted to the Columbus Indiana area? Anything will be greatly appreciated!!!

Okay, new question...I have this crazy idea, in my opinion, of creating a HYBRID system of raft AND media beds for my commercial system. Can someone, anyone, or group, help me with the specs of incorporating both types of growing systems? I believe it will capitalize on all the beneifts of produce growth rates and fish growth/harvest rates.

Not crazy at all, David.  Especially if you are looking at a CSA model, or some other scenario where being able to offer a variety of crops is key.  Plus, you can filter your solids through the media beds and avoid the need for clarifiers, etc., You might also want to consider going with vertical towers.  The are easy to plant and harvest, and space efficient.  

David, not crazy.  That's versatile.  Some taller plants can't stand in water like that ;).  What did you want to grow?  I suggest for media bed that deeper the better.  Unless you growing something like cucumbers then they sprawl everywhere and don't go that deep anyways..  Depending on the thing you grow the media bed may change.  If unsure I say go deep.

David jones said:

Okay, new question...I have this crazy idea, in my opinion, of creating a HYBRID system of raft AND media beds for my commercial system. Can someone, anyone, or group, help me with the specs of incorporating both types of growing systems? I believe it will capitalize on all the beneifts of produce growth rates and fish growth/harvest rates.

Thanks so much Robert.  I logged in and was able to use the online application to create a business plan document.  Very nice.  I appreciate the link to this resource.

Robert B Winebrinner said:

Sorry for the confusion guys. It is Purdue University Extension, which is our government agricultural resource. Every state has a university designated as the Extension office in the U.S. The government fund the University to support these types of assistance to all forms of agriculture (aquaculture, produce, grains, animals).

So true :D I didn't mean to basically repeat some of what you just said lol. 

Sylvia Bernstein said:

Not crazy at all, David.  Especially if you are looking at a CSA model, or some other scenario where being able to offer a variety of crops is key.  Plus, you can filter your solids through the media beds and avoid the need for clarifiers, etc., You might also want to consider going with vertical towers.  The are easy to plant and harvest, and space efficient.  

I have raft tanks and vertical towers together in an aqauponics system,total gallons around 4,000 ..room for over 3,000 plants..each vertical tower now holds 7 vertigro pots and 1 larger rectangle pot on the ground(38 plants per tower). It's working great.You can see pictures of it at

www.passionforproduce.net (although have to get new pictures up,more growing now and looks nicer).

Daniel E Murphy said:

So true I didn't mean to basically repeat some of what you just said lol. 

Sylvia Bernstein said:

Great website Michelle :-)

Michelle Silva said:

I have raft tanks and vertical towers together in an aqauponics system,total gallons around 4,000 ..room for over 3,000 plants..each vertical tower now holds 7 vertigro pots and 1 larger rectangle pot on the ground(38 plants per tower). It's working great.You can see pictures of it at

www.passionforproduce.net (although have to get new pictures up,more growing now and looks nicer).

Daniel E Murphy said:

So true I didn't mean to basically repeat some of what you just said lol. 

Sylvia Bernstein said:

Michelle, your website looks great!  When did it go up?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service