Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Looking for something you cannot find? Fish Feeder? Tilapia food? Post a comment here and see if someone else can help.

Views: 185

Replies to This Discussion

I will start populating this list with some of my own wishes.

These are UNIseal bulkheads out of Aussie land.  They are not too expensive, but so far, I have only been able to trace one online supplier in South Africa.  They work out cheaper than tank fittings (If you work with pvc stuff) and can be use on a curved surface.

 

Anyone thinking of starting the construction of their system should consider the price of these compared to tank fittings.  The other nice thing is that they are not glued in, which make system adjustment / expansion easier.

Here is another one.  TC Lynx on the Forum is a keen user and advovate of these indexing valves.  Also out of Australia originally I think (what is it with those people.......) It works fantastic for distributing flow from a timed pump into a large number of beds.  You need a rather large pump to have enough pressure to operate the indexing valve cam, thus it may not be the best thing for small systems, but as soon as you start thinking about a larger unit, these will be worth their cost in simplifying the distribution of water - you will be able to get away with a smaller fish tank and sump, which is a space and cost saver. Basically what is does is shift the indexing valve cam to a new outlet every time the pump switches off.  Thus in stead of trying to fill all your beds at once, you can have a number of beds plumbed to each cam outlet, and then just flood a few each cycle.  Pure genius!!

 

Attached is a brochure from an American manufacturer that gives you an idea of minimum operating pressure, number of distribution points and flow rates.

Attachments:

I am lookind at what type of food to feed to Tilapia?  Would like to suplement it with Duckweed, but no source currently available to get grow stock from.

Which is a reliable feeder that I can get to feed my tilapia when I go on 2 week holidays far from home?

I have a 5800L small above ground PVC swiming pool I use as a tank for the Tilapia.

 

Kind regards

Gawie

So many questions!

In terms of duckweed, I normally scrounge around at large nurseries or ponds around my place.  I use Lemna gibba, Lemna minor and Wolffia.  So far, the Lemna gibba has died on me twice, and in low nutrient conditions, the Lemna minor seem to be doing better.  Let me know if you continue to struggle because, as these are circum-global species, I will not get into trouble if I send some over to where you are.

 

The fish feeder is going to have to come from aquaculture suppliers by the sounds of it. I have seen belt feeders on offer from places such as  http://www.aquaafrica.co.za/, but cannot say what they cost, what their capacity is and what the best would be for your situation.  You may want to shop around between commercial aquaculture suppliers before you settle.  I do not have a shortlist unfortunately.

 

In terms of fish food, I use AquaNutro, but not because I want to - there is little else available! 

Gabriel said:

I am lookind at what type of food to feed to Tilapia?  Would like to suplement it with Duckweed, but no source currently available to get grow stock from.

Which is a reliable feeder that I can get to feed my tilapia when I go on 2 week holidays far from home?

I have a 5800L small above ground PVC swiming pool I use as a tank for the Tilapia.

 

Kind regards

Gawie

Thanks for the info Kobus :)



Kobus Jooste said:

So many questions!

In terms of duckweed, I normally scrounge around at large nurseries or ponds around my place.  I use Lemna gibba, Lemna minor and Wolffia.  So far, the Lemna gibba has died on me twice, and in low nutrient conditions, the Lemna minor seem to be doing better.  Let me know if you continue to struggle because, as these are circum-global species, I will not get into trouble if I send some over to where you are.

 

The fish feeder is going to have to come from aquaculture suppliers by the sounds of it. I have seen belt feeders on offer from places such as  http://www.aquaafrica.co.za/, but cannot say what they cost, what their capacity is and what the best would be for your situation.  You may want to shop around between commercial aquaculture suppliers before you settle.  I do not have a shortlist unfortunately.

 

In terms of fish food, I use AquaNutro, but not because I want to - there is little else available! 

Gabriel said:

I am lookind at what type of food to feed to Tilapia?  Would like to suplement it with Duckweed, but no source currently available to get grow stock from.

Which is a reliable feeder that I can get to feed my tilapia when I go on 2 week holidays far from home?

I have a 5800L small above ground PVC swiming pool I use as a tank for the Tilapia.

 

Kind regards

Gawie

Hi Kobus,

The information about the valve you linked to relates to an irrigation/waste water valve, and has specific pressure related requirements.

 

The "aquaponics valve" was modified and adapted to the specific needs of aquaponic systems, particularly the low flow rates of most pumps utilised in aquaponics.

 

The "aquaponics valve" is sequenced by interruption of flow, not by pressure as such.

 

There has also been further development of the aquaponics valve to work with gravity fed systems such as "barrelponics" systems, and those that use a SLO (solids lifting overflow)... as commonly used in "Chift Pist", or "Chop" systems.

Anyone wishing to order an "aquaponics valve", or obtain further information... can contact via http://www.aquaponics.vacau.com/index.html , or through myself... www.freshbynature.com.au ... or (as soon as a domain transfer/hosting issue is resolved)... www.aquaponicsvalve.com



Kobus Jooste said:

 

Attached is a brochure from an American manufacturer that gives you an idea of minimum operating pressure, number of distribution points and flow rates.

RSS

© 2021   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service