Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Does anyone remember the Aquaponic set up in the Greenhouse at the State fair that had a light colored media or gravel in it? The guy who set it up gave me the name of the gravel and where he got it from.  (It is lost now).  All I remember is that it was somewhere in McClellan, maybe a builders or cement place.

If anyone can remember it I would appreciate your insight.

Thanks

Views: 356

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Janet,

It was most likely called hydroton. See if that matches what you saw.

Cheers, 
Dee

if it was a gray color it was expanded shale.  I have had really good luck with 3/8" red lava rock and it is $32 for a square yard from the local (Roseville) gravel yard.

Tom

Janet,

Just this week came across a reference to that stuff in my notes from last year's fair.  My notes say "glass mountain mafic basalt."  Per Wikipedia, "mafic is an adjective describing a silicate mineral or rock that is rich in magnesium and iron; the term is a portmanteau of the words "magnesium" and "ferric"."  Exhibitor was I believe John Echols; you can try to reach him at info at puravidatechnology dot com or echols200 at gmail dot com.

@Paul - Large columns of basalt are often used in landscaping.  It is also available as a small rock that would lend itself to media and it's sold as 'Black Chip' at my local landscape yard.  I use it on my driveway, and pathways, but I did not know that it has such wonderful nutrient properties.   I've been very happy with red lava which I believe has many of the same qualities and has a lot more surface area, but I might try basalt next time..Thanks for the tip.

Just to be clear, that media is not something I know enough about to offer an opinion about.  Just reporting what I found out at the Fair last year.

Hello Janet,

So happens I have the info you are looking for. I am using the white lave rock you are asking about in my flood n drain bed. Any questions you may email.

Emmett Butler

vermifarms@gmail.com

Glass Mountain Lightweight Aggregate

Jose Rosales - Yard Manager

4603 50th Street

McClellan, Ca 95652

916 921-2884 - yard

916 801-5273

www.glassmountainpumice.com

Cool ,can you post a picture of it?

No it was not Hydroton, it was a light beige color and light like hydroton but also not volcanic rock.

Dee Anne LeVan said:

Hi Janet,

It was most likely called hydroton. See if that matches what you saw.

Cheers, 
Dee

Yes, that sounds right, thanks Paul I will try to get in touch with him.  When I find out more I will try to report the
the specifics of this media.
Paul Trudeau said:

Janet,

Just this week came across a reference to that stuff in my notes from last year's fair.  My notes say "glass mountain mafic basalt."  Per Wikipedia, "mafic is an adjective describing a silicate mineral or rock that is rich in magnesium and iron; the term is a portmanteau of the words "magnesium" and "ferric"."  Exhibitor was I believe John Echols; you can try to reach him at info at puravidatechnology dot com or echols200 at gmail dot com.

I know red lava is great and cheap but the texture is not something I want to work with.    It like the nails and chalkboard thing.....
Bob Campbell said:

@Paul - Large columns of basalt are often used in landscaping.  It is also available as a small rock that would lend itself to media and it's sold as 'Black Chip' at my local landscape yard.  I use it on my driveway, and pathways, but I did not know that it has such wonderful nutrient properties.   I've been very happy with red lava which I believe has many of the same qualities and has a lot more surface area, but I might try basalt next time..Thanks for the tip.

Ok I went to his website and on the front page is the picture of it from the fair last year.

Paul Trudeau said:

Janet,

Here is another picture
IMAG0538
Janet Little said:

Ok I went to his website and on the front page is the picture of it from the fair last year.

Paul Trudeau said:

Janet,

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service