Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I have seen several aquaponic farms in the area that have been adding supplemental aeration in their troughs and getting dramatic increases in plant growth in the immediate area of the aeration. Seeing this happen has prompted me to add aeration to my troughs. I just got done running main lines with a blubber every 4 feet in my troughs. I hope to increase my plant growth with the extra DO.

I plan to add an air stone every 2 square feet in my micro system as experiment to compare to the commercial system.

My current theory and direction are going toward a low water transfer of about 2 gpm through the troughs and high aeration. I will down size on the water pumps and add to the air pumping capacity. My electricity costs $.44 kw hr so I want to get the systems as efficient as possible.

Views: 1657

Replies to This Discussion

Hi All,

Alpine makes many great points here. Unless the pump/pumps were shut off to show the bubble pattern in trough, from these pics, the flow rates to me, appear minimal at best. There are the obvious ratios to consider as well. We can pride ourselves in AP, as having smaller pumps to compensate our electrical use, however if we minimize flow rates, position raft inlets and outlets which produces uneven water movement, increase plant density, maintain low DO levels, skimp on quality fish feed, not ensure timely supplementation of depleted nutrient, provide other key maintenance which optimizes raft efficiency, we can expect the likely results. I'm not suggesting that this is the case here but Raft are not simply a trough with fish water flowing through, its like a car which we can fine tune to run as smoothly as possible or rattle and roll all the way to the same destination, it really depends on the aims/objectives of the operator. I have learn't so many tips and tricks from the experienced rafters, like Chris, David, others, and from personal experience, on this site, to know that floating raft is a complex AP which can always be improved upon, as the operator gains experience over time.

Well said :-)

God Bless

Harold Sukhbir said:

Hi All,

Alpine makes many great points here. Unless the pump/pumps were shut off to show the bubble pattern in trough, from these pics, the flow rates to me, appear minimal at best. There are the obvious ratios to consider as well. We can pride ourselves in AP, as having smaller pumps to compensate our electrical use, however if we minimize flow rates, position raft inlets and outlets which produces uneven water movement, increase plant density, maintain low DO levels, skimp on quality fish feed, not ensure timely supplementation of depleted nutrient, provide other key maintenance which optimizes raft efficiency, we can expect the likely results. I'm not suggesting that this is the case here but Raft are not simply a trough with fish water flowing through, its like a car which we can fine tune to run as smoothly as possible or rattle and roll all the way to the same destination, it really depends on the aims/objectives of the operator. I have learn't so many tips and tricks from the experienced rafters, like Chris, David, others, and from personal experience, on this site, to know that floating raft is a complex AP which can always be improved upon, as the operator gains experience over time.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service