Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hi all, new here and looking for solar pump, battery backup as options for AP.
Been searching for DC 12V pump solar combo but having a hard time sourcing a robust system. Looked at Oase Nautilus line of solar products but it's been discontinued. Perhaps you can recommend a system that works well for you?

As another option:

Anyone use the Goalzero Escape150 solar battery system for AP? Plan using for 300g tank, pumping 24/7, will this work?

Thanks in advance and looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Geost

Views: 226

Replies to This Discussion

I'm using three 195 watt panels with two 12-volt AGM batteries, inverter, 50 watt pump, pumping continuously and I've yet to go more than a week or a little more without putting a charger on my batteries.  In case of power outage, I'll pump less and I expect it will keep everything alive until the power is on again.  I'm getting only 5 hours or so of good direct sunlight on my panels.  It's a good backup system but truly off grid and able to pump the way I want to, it's just not there yet - don't want to sink more money into it either.  I may try what Halemart is doing - circulate through the beds during the day and aerate only at night.  My system is probably up to that on a fully off-grid basis.

If you have reliable grid power you might want to consider simply running from grid, keeping a couple of good batteries on hand for backup - possibly a generator along with high-amp battery charger to recharge batteries during long term outage. 

Good luck

Thanks for your response George. Would you mind including your entire set up/ brands for panels, inverters and pump? :D

I've just now seen this.  Will do but it might be a while before I get to it - going out of town tomorrow.  Check out mad german on this site - he is a proponent of 12-volt systems with no inverter. 

I currently run with no inverter but am also only aerating at night and pumping during the day. I see the same results as George, with two 175w panels and two 6v T105 trojans, and 50w charge controller. I believe to work correctly I will need another 150w of panels ( maybe two 230w ) to run pump full time. We are off grid here so there is no other option. I can run the pumps from the larger system and put more money into that but like the idea of two seperate systems with somewhat interchangable parts. ( think back up ).

After adding more panels, my next concern is the low cost bilge pump is not reliable enough to run 24x7. I would to know if anybody here has some 12v pumps that they are confident in.

Thanks.

I'm about to begin testing a 12-volt pump but it will likely be months before I will know whether to recommend it.  I'm going to run continuously from my solar system with 12-volt for aeration only and pump from tank to beds continuously from grid current.  In the event of a power outage I plan to stop feeding, continue continuous aeration and pump minimally from tank to beds from battery/inverter.  Eventually I may convert entirely to 12-volt - we'll see how it goes.

Jason Eaton said:

. I would to know if anybody here has some 12v pumps that they are confident in.

Thanks.

I am also interested in any 12VDC pumps that are reasonably priced for running a system that I am planning on adding in the future. The only pumps readily available to me are bilge pumps at the local WalMart. While I can find one with the desired flow rate, I am more concerned with the reliability of these pumps in a 24/7 situation. Ultimately I want to go off grid with my systems but will start with batteries and DC pumps(if possible) and an intelligent battery charger from Bass Pro Shops. If necessary I can use batteries, inverter, and AC pump but would prefer something DC to eliminate the number of components in the system. If someone has information on using bilge pumps, I would like to know about the reliability of them. Thanks.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service