Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Been thinking of going to the farm/aquaponics seminar, has anyone been? Worth it?

Views: 245

Replies to This Discussion

I attended a 1 day seminar they ran back in 2011.  Price was $75 and well worth the price, considering all the printed reference material. Today, my farm has 20 flood & drain grow beds with capacity for 3,180 plants and 1,530 gal. in fish tankage capacity. I recently installed a little over 96 sq. ft of organic raise beds for in ground crops.

Real question is what do you want to accomplish?  And what value would place on that objective. I have over 40 years experience as a landlord of single family houses.  In addition, I have owned and operated my own gun shop and gunsmith business  for 22 years.  I also served 32 military service (12.5 years active 20 years reserve) where I served as a senior  MOS (military occupation specialty) instructor.

Most learning will be accomplished by day to day hands on operation curing "problems".  Just one early on example.  To reduce accumulation of uneaten fish food in the fish tanks, I installed small 98 gal. per hour "fountain pumps" in the bottom of my fish tanks. This was my solution to a major fish kill from ammonia spike from formented uneaten fish food. It worked fine until I had a power outage during a thunder storm. I returned to the farm the next day to find my fish tank almost empty.  When the power went off the discharge hose of the fountain pump created a syphon on the fish tank.  Lack of power prevented my sump pump from returning the water to the fish tank.  I doubt you will learn this in any seminar anyone teaches.  Today  I still use the fountain pumps, but they a suspended 2 feet from the bottom of my fish tanks. 

OMG you just opened a can of "Aquaponic Worms" hahahaha.  My husband and I took the Green Acres commercial Aquaponic course Oct 2013 and let me just tell you it is 1-million times worth it.  Gina, J.D., Sylvia, Tonya are the real deal folks.  You can not go wrong learning all the pro's and con's of aquaponic commercial farming from those who walk the walk and definitely talk the talk.  This course is a turn-key course.  Every single thing you need to know you will know when you attend this course.  Money is hard to come by these days so spend it wisely and I whole-heartedly recommend this course.  P.S. after the course if you have question and/or concerns these folks are there to help as you start you business.  You can't say that about any other course or program.  Good luck and grow prosperously.  One leaf at a time.  Bye for now Green Goddess Aquaponics :D

I'd definitely recommend the Green Acres course. Totally worth it. The instructors are very high caliber people and it's great time to make connections with other aquapons. Plus, you're going to leave with a proper commercial aquaponics model that has been tested and tried. I've never regretted spending the money on it.

Thanks for the replies! Money IS hard to come by. I believe whole-heartedly in research and training...and then going out and doing. =D I was especially excited to see that they address the business side and not just the food side. But before I fork over that much cash I want to know they are good teachers, not just good salespeople, because I bought their book and, well, I liked the info but it seemed a little rushed and/or poorly done. But I love their attitude and goodness their enthusiasm is contagious! We are setting up a small system now, to see if we really like it, but are definitely interested in going small-scale commercial.

Marketing is a major component of any commercial operation.  I am located in Pasco County FL and suncoast-co-op located at Habitat for Humanity in New Port Richey (see: www.suncoastco-op.com) proved to be a major asset.

I agree 100%.  If you check out these folks "Bios" you will see that they are highly educated folks and this is not their first rodeo in business.  J.D. Sawyers business model excel spread sheets are worth the cost of the course just by themselves.  I didn't know they wrote a book.  What is the title I would like to check it out myself. I read Sylvia's book and loved it. The material you get with the course is outstanding.  If you do decide to take the course I know  you won't be disappointed.    

Mrs. FischThanks for the replies! Money IS hard to come by. I believe whole-heartedly in research and training...and then going out and doing. =D I was especially excited to see that they address the business side and not just the food side. But before I fork over that much cash I want to know they are good teachers, not just good salespeople, because I bought their book and, well, I liked the info but it seemed a little rushed and/or poorly done. But I love their attitude and goodness their enthusiasm is contagious! We are setting up a small system now, to see if we really like it, but are definitely interested in going small-scale commercial.

Their book is called "The Complete Backyard Aquaponics Guide" available as an ebook/paperback from their website and also from amazon I believe.

Mrs. Fisch said:

Their book is called "The Complete Backyard Aquaponics Guide" available as an ebook/paperback from their website and also from amazon I believe.

Thanks so much :D

Mrs. Fisch said:

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service