Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I was just wondering how much of a concern humidity is for indoor aquaponic systems in Colorado.  Do you all find you need a dehumidifier? I would think that some extra moisture in the house might actually be a nice thing. I'm looking at putting the system in my basement. It is mostly finished basement with one unfinished room about 11X15 feet which is where I want to put it.  I was looking at either a 1 or possibly 3 IBC tote system.

Thoughts or recommendations?

Views: 134

Replies to This Discussion

I actually added an evaporative cooler to one of my systems this summer to cool the room and still didn't mind the humidity. And the room only goes through about 2 air changes an hour. The only place I have a problem is in a room that is connected to a CMU exterior wall, so when it gets really cold outside, the walls sweat and need wiped down periodically. In a house it shouldn't be too much of a problem. You will be able to tell very quickly how much humidity you will encounter once you set the system up with lights and proper water temp

Just a few questions:

Are you growing in the IBC totes as well? So dual reservoir/grow bed?

What kind of fish?

There should not be much of a problem with humidity, as long as the room isn't completely sealed off from air exchange.

I haven't set my system up yet. Still planning. I will likely start off with just one IBC tote with the top being the grow bed and then expand later to add a more grow beds and a sump tank down the road. I don't want to regulate the temperature so most likely will just grow tilapia or perhaps catfish or trout once I see if the temperature would meet their needs.

LogicalHydro said:

Just a few questions:

Are you growing in the IBC totes as well? So dual reservoir/grow bed?

What kind of fish?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service