Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

what type of manifold do you use?  Just starting up my system. very small system. 

thanks. 

Views: 340

Replies to This Discussion

@Marlena - That's a pretty general question!

I have a large system(Over 1500 Gallons) but the idea is the same.

My manifold collects water from FT overflow and all of my media bed output's and feeds my main pump(running 24 and 7), which which is followed by a polishing filter (to remove ultra fine particulates) and the back to my FT's.

In my case the manifold is 2" PVC. The feeds from the FT overflows and Media Beds is also 2".

The pump line thru the Polishing filter and back to the FT's is 1" PVC.

I use a second pump and 1" PVC to draw water from the Main FT (15 min, on 45 off) to supply my Raft & Media beds.

Raft beds drain through an overflow, Media beds drain through Bell Siphons.

I hope this helps!

Robert

Thank you

Funny you should ask Marlena. I have an IBC for my fish but I recently found a few hundred babies so I put them in a separate aquarium and was having ammonia problems. Just this morning I built a a small gravel bed with a plastic shoe box from Home Depot ($.99) with a bell syphon (3/4")to filter out the ammonia as the algae grows. I'm also going to put a few plants in it for nitrites and nitrates. Don't think you can get much smaller than that. Don't know where you're at with your system but it's a good place to start.

Questions I have to ask is "How small is small"  I have what is considered a small system that takes up half a barns lower floor and 2 small systems in my house that take up some space in my dining room.  In the spring I have a NFT system in my backyard for herbs that I will be expanding next spring.

Question: What design are you planning to build? Is it a media based system or Deep water culture (there are others but I don't want to overwhelm you).

I use the media system mostly so my water is pumped from the FT into the media which fills and drains through a bell siphon back to the FT.  Click on the bear and go to my page and check out my pics.  I have a couple designs that have been working for a couple of years just with monthly or bi-monthly upkeep.  If you are interested email me at sha_man_1@yahoo.com , I have designed an inlet manifold for an IBC system.  I'll be glad to share.

Thank you all for your support. :)

I have a 26 gal FT with a 40 gal grow bed.  I used a rainbird drip system connected to my pump  to pump the water to my grow bed... and then set up a drain down back to the fist tank... hoping this works.  haven't been able to get the email through this site to post my pictures... but I am proud of my little system. 

:)

thanks for the help. I am not sure I am doing anything in the correct order though.. i don't think i have let it cycle properly but I already have the fish... so... we will see. 

Sounds like you are on the right track. The only issue that you may have (but probably won't) is ammonia. That's the main purpose of the cycled grow bed. Get an ammonia test kit and if the level gets too high just do a partial water change until the media gets cycled. My grow bed wasn't cycled when I put in the fish and I had no problem but I had an IBC tank with more water.

Thank you Jeff Sullivan, for the encouragement and suggestion

Marlena, where is the pump located? If it is in the FT your drip system will plug solid with fish waste every few days. You must NOT restrict the flow of waste with valves or any other restrictions or you will end up spending way too much time clearing nasty gooey clogs on a regular bases.

If you have a clear water sump AFTER the grow beds which are after the FTs then you can regulate that clear water with anything you like but not the FT water. The pump does best in a clear water sump as well.

Marlena Nel said:

I have a 26 gal FT with a 40 gal grow bed.  I used a rainbird drip system connected to my pump  to pump the water to my grow bed... and then set up a drain down back to the fist tank... hoping this works.  haven't been able to get the email through this site to post my pictures... but I am proud of my little system. 

:)

thanks for the help. I am not sure I am doing anything in the correct order though.. i don't think i have let it cycle properly but I already have the fish... so... we will see. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service