Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I am looking for a source of YP fingerlings in Maine (or near).

Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Views: 747

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yellow Perch are considered an invasive species in Maine aren't they?  So I'm guessing you were told they weren't allowed? I know Yellow Perch are ruining some brook trout waters. Was surprised to find they are now common in Moosehead Lake.

I don't know I they are considered invasive. I actually thought they were native. Certainly they are established in many ponds Maine. In speaking with the Fisheries they said they would issue a permit for me to catch YP in a local pond and keep. The issue with that for me would be 1) I'm a lousy fisherman and 2) they need to eat pellets (and should start from birth).

I ended up getting a trout permit ($10 for 5 years) and getting stocked from a private hatchery outside Portland. Both the Fisheries and Hatchery were exceptionally helpful.

Blue Hiller said:

I don't know I they are considered invasive. I actually thought they were native. Certainly they are established in many ponds Maine. In speaking with the Fisheries they said they would issue a permit for me to catch YP in a local pond and keep. The issue with that for me would be 1) I'm a lousy fisherman and 2) they need to eat pellets (and should start from birth).

I ended up getting a trout permit ($10 for 5 years) and getting stocked from a private hatchery outside Portland. Both the Fisheries and Hatchery were exceptionally helpful.

Hey, also in Maine. Just get permit from the state. you can catch perch and blue gill ALL DAY with a bobber and worm, so do not need to be much of a fisherman. Permit is about $25.00. I am in Waterboro, where are you located?

John McCaw said:

Blue Hiller said:

I got the Trout permit and stocked already.

True, catching them not so bad but then you got to train them to eat pellets.  

Can't you guess from my name?

Thought it was your NAME....found you...

Guess I need to laugh at that one! 

Blue Hiller said:

I got the Trout permit and stocked already.

True, catching them not so bad but then you got to train them to eat pellets.  

Can't you guess from my name?

Blue Hiller said:

My bad but it may depend on what part of the state you are in? As in northern Maine where brook trout and landlocked salmon are prevalent? A woman on a pond board told us Maine's Dept. of Fisheries was making her kill off her pond because it had bluegills in it and  they could potentially escape.
I do know brook trout cannon compete well with yellow perch in ponds and lakes.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service