Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Working on an open source greenhouse for developing nations, looking to collaborate

I will be posting information regarding this specific project soon.  For the moment I have a link to the sketchup model of our concept, it currently does not have the aquaponic components. 

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=6b126f0656e93956...

Views: 258

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a few ideas for third world greenhouse construction but they are all concepts that I need to run past someone who understands material availability and weather in the area. If this is the right place let me know and I can throw them out.

This is really cool, but I'm not sure what the bicycle, and the other pedals are for though

Yes, this is the right place. I'm very interested to hear your ideas. 

Layne allen said:

I have a few ideas for third world greenhouse construction but they are all concepts that I need to run past someone who understands material availability and weather in the area. If this is the right place let me know and I can throw them out.

The people powered pump is meant to pump water into the aquaponic system. Recent feedback has led us to re-examine this as it may not be the most practical approach. The other bike is meant to generate electricity to charge up battery banks to provide energy for the aquaponic system and for other electrical needs like lighting and charging smart phones. However, feedback regarding this, there is some extra cost and aquaponic systems can often be fine during the night without pumping water. Also the pumps used are very energy efficient, and could very likely get all the energy needed from a modest solar panel that could charge the battery banks.  Ideally we will make the greenhouse as affordable as possible, but there is certain infrastructure that is just necessary, hopefully we would have the funding and support of nations, business, and nonprofits to provide what is needed but still be very cost effective.

Devin Solkov said:

This is really cool, but I'm not sure what the bicycle, and the other pedals are for though

I feel like going all night without moving your water will only work if you are planning on low stocking densities with a large emphasis on producing vegetables.

Dan Vega said:

The people powered pump is meant to pump water into the aquaponic system. Recent feedback has led us to re-examine this as it may not be the most practical approach. The other bike is meant to generate electricity to charge up battery banks to provide energy for the aquaponic system and for other electrical needs like lighting and charging smart phones. However, feedback regarding this, there is some extra cost and aquaponic systems can often be fine during the night without pumping water. Also the pumps used are very energy efficient, and could very likely get all the energy needed from a modest solar panel that could charge the battery banks.  Ideally we will make the greenhouse as affordable as possible, but there is certain infrastructure that is just necessary, hopefully we would have the funding and support of nations, business, and nonprofits to provide what is needed but still be very cost effective.

Devin Solkov said:

Thank you Dan for starting this topic. I have been working on this for over a decade (almost two).

I commend your effort, ideology and willingness to help others but...IMO you are still thinking too high-tech/ too western: not really applicable in developing (poor-ass) nations. I'm not trying to burst your bubble...just trying to point out some...things to think about.

I believe more natural systems like greenwater/ pond culture might be more appropriate. Remember, anything and everything is more expensive and difficult to locate. There is no pH up at the store. There might not be a store for many miles. But lets go along and say a greenhouse AP sys would be needed...due to (certain condition- build one around that factor: could be wind, temp, rain etc.).

I agree with the earth shelter concept except that yours seems to be N/S orientated whereas I believe it would serve better if it were East/ West oriented. Also glass/ resin panels etc. along with framing should be replaced with something more cost effective and locally available. Wood/ lumber, plumbing, electricity/ wire is often a luxury in developing nations esp. many parts of Africa. Thick ply plastic sheet over bamboo or steal bar frames (raw construction materials) maybe more appropriate.

Each location has its own unique quirks and demands so cannot be one size fits all. However the picture below above is what I consider a good starting point (not my design ~ has lots of flaws but good starting point), except for the aforementioned few points. I would place the tank in the front (south wall) part of the structure to better capture condensation and eliminate direct light from the tanks.

As for man powered pumps & generators: The bicycle is cute but not very effective. I believe India has done a good job at designing and making efficient, high volume, low energy input systems. (if used in America to replace step aerobics would reduce obesity immensely and if we put one in every park could almost feed America...haha).

Instead of a kid peddling hours on end, imagine a bigger version of the old farm pump set to a large see-saw with earth/ cob steps leading up to the handles. Kids could, two or three at a time run up the two sets of stairs and have gravity bring them back down while pumping water. Mechanical energy could be collected if attached to a dynamo or spring and ratchet setup. A kindergarten class on morning break could fill the above ground tanks so water can trickle through the grow system/s throughout the day. Another round after school and they are set for the night.

Am looking forward to your comments.

Cheers

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service