Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Preping to set up the greenhouse. Just not sure wich way to face it. Should the longest section face the south? Thanks for any input. Mike

Views: 1893

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Carey you are right on that. Great Idea.

Carey Ma said:
Mike, I believe Google Earth has a feature where you could paste a pic of your land and see the different sun/shade positions throughout the year.
Yes we have an inground pool by the house and I tried to get the wife to let me set the greenhouse over the pool for the winter but she said "NO WAY"!

David Waite said:
Mike not sure how your house lays in regards to your greenhouse location so I will give you a couple of things I wish I did. I wish I connected the greenhouse to my house somehow. I love the close proximity and the sound of running water is like a indoor pond. I would have it so I could close a double slider and open at will and go into the greenhouse. The ability to use the excess heat in the winter to pump into the residence would be awesome. Keep your greenhouse close you will be making alot of trips there. If you are like me and your wife gets pissed cause you spend so much time there you wont have far to walk to sleep in it. Mike Sylvia is dead on  about south face long side. Take into account winter angle and trees blocking the morning sun because that is when you will need the light . I personally would sacrifice the perfect angle to connect to my house though. Just some thoughts to make your decision more difficult hehe.
Here is the google earth image.

Carey Ma said:
Mike, I believe Google Earth has a feature where you could paste a pic of your land and see the different sun/shade positions throughout the year.
Thank you Dave.
JUst as I thought I had every thing figured out yall cause me to start thinking again. I live between Sheveport and Dallas and was planning on putting my GH running N-S with the long wall on the east side.After other discussions on this forum I had decided to place my FT on the East side of GH and actuall cover it in the winter to use the heat off of it to help warm my GH.  Do I need to redo my plans? I'm planning on an inground FT being pertty long with way more area than necessary for GH. I can add more GBs later and raise stocking rates after it is up and running.     Thanks again for all the help and much needed advice.
Well in the South that east side of the greenhouse is a really prime area for growing plants so I'm not sure I would give it up to fish tank.  However without seeing diagrams and more details of your plans, it's hard to tell.  What kind of system?  If doing media bed system you probably want to start out with at least equal grow bed volume to fish tank volume since is is really challenging to keep water quality up even with low stocking if you only have a small amount of grow bed compared to fish tank.  Fish tank can become a bit stagnant if you are only filtering and aerating a small portion of the water each hour.
Thanks TCL      It was our previous discussion that I deceided to move my FT outside of the GH for accessabilty . I can put it next to the GH and by adjusting the plastic recover some heat in the winter.It was this ducession that I begin to doubt my present layout. I plan on putting my GH about 60 ft. east of a tree linebut if I need to move it I can. My main objective is to make it most effitive in the winter. I plan on using the FT to subdisize my other garden in the summer. As I stated before I plan on keeping my ratios low at first, but want to be able to increase production later on with both food and plants. Thanks agian for the information.

TCLynx said:
Well in the South that east side of the greenhouse is a really prime area for growing plants so I'm not sure I would give it up to fish tank.  However without seeing diagrams and more details of your plans, it's hard to tell.  What kind of system?  If doing media bed system you probably want to start out with at least equal grow bed volume to fish tank volume since is is really challenging to keep water quality up even with low stocking if you only have a small amount of grow bed compared to fish tank.  Fish tank can become a bit stagnant if you are only filtering and aerating a small portion of the water each hour.

LF, Sounds like you are planning to open up the greenhouse for the summer yes?  I think you will want to make the sides and ends roll up or removable because trying to just vent a greenhouse through doors vents and windows here in the South is rarely enough during the scorching weather.

Yea, I guess I hadn't really understood the plan of the fish tank being kind on the outside but Being able to contain it in the greenhouse for winter.  (I have trouble keeping track of so many different ideas/discussions unless my mind happens to have a picture of it along with the idea.)  Sounds good.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service