Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

System is fully cycled and I have about 40 small goldfish.  The ammonia/nitrite/nitrate are all where they should be.  The PH is about 7.6.  The tank is 150gal and is about 100 gallons full w/ two 50gal grow beds.   Lots of aeration with 4 stones. The only extra thing I add extra besides fish flakes is some maxicrop at about 2 oz per day.  I have 2-6 dead per day and have to keep adding more goldfish although a handful are doing fine and seem to have grown some.  I should also add that although I first filled the system from the city water, that was 3 months ago or so and I top off a few times per week with 5-10 gal of rain barrel or well water.

My only thought of how they could die would be from the pump but I have yet to see one stuck to the side of the pump and it never stops. If they were dying from the pump I don't know that they would always be floating. They also don't look like they suffered trauma. I want to figure it out before I invest in Talapia.

Views: 2217

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I did notice about 5 days ago that one tilapia was basically dead, but when I netted him, he opened and closed its mouth.  I then put him in a holding basket and had a source of tank water purging the basket... it seemed to work so I thought it was an airation problem and added the air stone and pump.  Just wondering why I'm still having a die off?  Since I added the air, I experienced 2 more that died.

Thanks

Like some mention before fish die after stress.  I call it the 3 day rule.  If something bad happens to the fish, 3 days later you will start to see the death.  Depending on whats causing that will determine how long your in the woods.  Low DO can cause this sort of event.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service