Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

anybody have a clue here?

what is a quality food? does it make a difference ?

how do you know good food?

can you make your own food?

Views: 5187

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Does the Aquaorganic feed float very well now?  I got some of the first batch to test out and most of it sank right away so I couldn't even tell if it was getting eaten or going to waste in the bottom of my big tanks so I couldn't use it.  The stuff from that first batch that did float, bloated to be rather large and while the catfish with their big mouths seemed ok with that, I'm not sure what other types of fish would think.

Fish can take a while to get used to new feed, if you still have some of their old feed you could mix the two together to help them get the idea and then switch over completely.

The feed I got is how you described...Some sink and others float and swell large. I have rather small fish in there now. I smashed the pellets into smaller pieces and I try and feed with only tiny pieces. I saw today the sinking pieces were being eating by the catfish, but they were picky about it. The BG only want to eat the mealworms, they don't care about the feed. I want to be able to feed the organic feed with mealworms, and BSF larvae as a treat. The BG snatch the worms and dont let the catfiish have a chance.

Mortar and pestle works well for crushing feed and you can get a nice marble set for $20.  I enjoy feeding worms to my bluegill.  They eat the worms from my beans and tomatoes as well as earthworms.  What energized my catfish and caused them to take over the feeding arena from the bluegill was fresh mullet chunks.  They really went crazy over it. 

Glenn Davis said:

I have rather small fish in there now. I smashed the pellets into smaller pieces and I try and feed with only tiny pieces. 

I have a old corona mill. I may end up using goldfish as a starter with trays for my chicken veggie feed i raise.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service