Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I can only find one supplier of tilapia in San Diego:

http://www.mybackyardfishfarm.com/catalog/item/7135777/7275431.htm

I would like to also raise jade or white nile perch as well.  I live in Joshua Tree, the high desert of Southern California.  Summer temps can exceed 110° F daytime easily, winter temps can go as low as 40° F at night.  Big range.  

Does anyone know of good places to buy any other species of fingerlings in Southern California?

Views: 7829

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Robert - I just picked up a few breeders from a fellow aquapon who was moving and selling his system. I got the whole thing set up and now have a steady supply of hybrid tilapia fry. If you're interested, I'm selling them for a $1 each. I'm located in Los Angeles. The males are hornorum and the females are mossambique, so the fry are hybrids and supposed to be all male (though my first batch are too small for me to tell...yet!).

Roe.

I have 300 tilapia fingerlings available, located in oceanside CA if you are interested. Give me a call (760) 845-9181

Hi Roe my names otto and im in the los angeles area and would like to take you up on that offer for tilapia fry/fingerlings. i can be reached at any time at 626 9132461 or 323 420 4151. Ill also entertain other offers for tilapia within this week 2/12//2013.  thanks for the help  every one :D

Roe Sie said:

Hi Robert - I just picked up a few breeders from a fellow aquapon who was moving and selling his system. I got the whole thing set up and now have a steady supply of hybrid tilapia fry. If you're interested, I'm selling them for a $1 each. I'm located in Los Angeles. The males are hornorum and the females are mossambique, so the fry are hybrids and supposed to be all male (though my first batch are too small for me to tell...yet!).

Roe.

Hi Otto - I'm all out of fingerlings, but have plenty of fry at the moment, which I'm selling for 50 cents each. I tried texting your numbers. feel free to email me at roe.sie@hotmail.com if you want to pick some up - I'm located in Los Feliz.

HI Robert,

I picked up 50 tilapia at San Diego Pet Supply - they were a middle man for Tilapia Mama. It's my understanding that these fish originally came from the Salton Sea. I purchased these tilapia in Sept 2011, since then they have reproduced twice around 40 fish (27 first lay and 17 second lay). The fish are good for home AP but probably not great commercial since there is drastic differences in their grow rates.

Just to update this thread - in San Diego Tilapia can be purchased at City Farmers Nursery on Home Ave. They have a big tank of 3-5" fish that sell for $3 each running a demo ebb flow aquaponcis display at the front entrance.

I just bought some fingerlings from Roe and the all made the trip home and are thriving in my garage. Nice guy.

I live in Thousand Oaks, so the ocean insulates me more from the weather - 60/40 in the winter at worst, 80/60 most days in the summer. Garage plus a heater might work best for you.

I'm looking forward to their breeding so at some point I'm going to have to make sure I get some females into the mix. I was hoping that I was creating breeding stock but that can come next. I wasn't real clear with what I was getting with the hybrids. I do know that I have healthy fish.

My AP system is completely new and so first priority (I think) is to make sure everything stays together and lives.

I have found a couple of sources of Tilapia in the Los Angeles area.  The problem I'm having is water temperature...  even with the most robust Tilapia, they just don't grow at 60-65 degrees, and I'm not installing heaters.  Anyone have a local source for Perch, Channel Cats, Trout, Blue Gill?  The only folks currently happy in the system are goldfish.

hi my name is leo and i was wondering where to buy breeding colony for my AP. thank you.

Roe Sie said:

Roe.

Roe Sie said:

Roe.are you still selling Tilapia?  Alfred 7602219133

I have about 30 larger juveniles, around 4-5 inches long now, and will probably have a new batch of fry in a couple weeks.

ok what next?  I live in Wrightwood ca.

Roe Sie said:

I have about 30 larger juveniles, around 4-5 inches long now, and will probably have a new batch of fry in a couple weeks.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service