Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

The evolution of aquaculture and hydroponics using a man-enabled ecology where microbiology converts fish waste into nutrients for the plants resulting in clean water for the fish.

I have purposefully left out soil-less, man-made container and injected evolution and "man-enabled ecology" from the previous definitions.  Can I get some consensus on this definition?

Views: 195

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Daniel.

Personally I am of the opinion that we already have an excellent definition on the home page. It is one that many AQ Community members, including yourself, contributed to. I do not believe that we should rush to change it just yet. Let it be for some time and let us see if it needs modification or update in a year or two. So far, in my humble opinion, it is just fine :-)

What is Aquaponics?

This community came up with the following definition of aquaponics:

"Aquaponics is the cultivation of fish and plants together in a constructed, re-circulating ecosystem utilizing natural bacterial cycles to convert fish wastes to plant nutrients.

This is an environmentally-friendly, natural food growing method that harnesses the best attributes of aquaculture and hydroponics without the need to discard any water or filtrate or add chemical fertilizers."

God bless,

I think I'd vote for sticking with the original definition as well.  sorry, Daniel.

Oh goodness.  My apologies.  I meant to resurrect a lost discussion?  I thought it may be appropriate to fill a void as one said ;)  I humbly withdraw.

No need to apologize!  Just don't have the emotional energy this week 

Might have been nice to have the old thread of that lost discussion but luckily we do still have the outcome of that.

Actually we are missing the Hydroton=expensive gravel thread.

I just received an e-mail from Murray "Wildlife in my Aquaponics Greenhouse"

Just brilliant! Just see all the "new" ways of growing ;-)

http://aquaponics.net.au/blog/wildlife-in-my-aquaponics-greenhouse/

Fantastic...this is Aquaponics :-)

Just finished watching it my self - don't ya love it?!  I'll put it up on the home page...

ohh yea good video

That's awesome. 

I am disappointed I have to say.  When folks have ideas and try to share its been too often I see people shot down than lifted up.  I have a sneaking suspicion that we have too many egos here and its corrupting the good nature the rest of us have. 

Why did Kobus leave?  Probably the same reason I am not so happy this morning.  Support.  I re-posted this thread to help.  I got shot down abruptly.  I wasn't going to say anything and use this as an opportunity to learn, but after a lot of thought, I am still disappointed in the reaction I got in the thread above.

That's all I will say for now. Merry Christmas.

My jets are cooled and the jet fuel in the shed.

Sahib Punjabi said:

Hello Daniel.

Personally I am of the opinion that we already have an excellent definition on the home page. It is one that many AQ Community members, including yourself, contributed to. I do not believe that we should rush to change it just yet. Let it be for some time and let us see if it needs modification or update in a year or two. So far, in my humble opinion, it is just fine :-)

What is Aquaponics?

This community came up with the following definition of aquaponics:

"Aquaponics is the cultivation of fish and plants together in a constructed, re-circulating ecosystem utilizing natural bacterial cycles to convert fish wastes to plant nutrients.

This is an environmentally-friendly, natural food growing method that harnesses the best attributes of aquaculture and hydroponics without the need to discard any water or filtrate or add chemical fertilizers."

God bless,

If it helps,

I heartily second the injection of the sense of "evolution" in the definition. Aquaponics as a concept is nowhere near a finished package.

As I am new here I don't feel 'ripe' enough to decide whether the first responses were "shoot-downs" or just honest opinions on your request for a consensus... Still getting a feel for the forum's culture you know.

Rick

Daniel, you are, of course, welcome to express your disappointment and were obviously hurt over that exchange.  I understand now that you were really stepping in as a community leader and trying to recreate one of the valued exchanges we lost when Kobus left.  You felt that that effort was squashed by Sahib and myself - and you are right about that and I absolutely apologize for for my part.  That said, I can tell you that my exhausted reaction came from the appearance that you were attempting to restart the conversation from a new place, rather than the place that many people arrived at through consensus and after many days, and pages, of discussion.  This was one of those rare cases where, IMO, we weren't trying to keep the discussion ongoing as much as reach an actual, usable conclusion as a group...and Sahib and I, as active participants in the original discussion, felt that consensus had been reached.

Kobus left for personal, family reasons, not because of the discourse of anyone on this thread. I can assure you of that.

Rick, you asked about the culture here.  98% of the time we are a group that is kind to each other and we are open to and value each others opinions- no trolls allowed..  Every so often someone is less than diplomatic, or shuts someone down without realizing it.  Hey, we are all only human and sometime we wake up on the wrong side of the bed or someone hits us in a sensitive spot.  I personally think the key is to get it out in the open, apologize if appropriate, and move on.

So in that spirit, Daniel, I sincerely apologize for my response to your topic and I promise that next time I will hold my tongue (or fingers) rather than respond in a way that shuts anyone here down.  

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service