Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I visited a neighbor's aquaponics setup the other day and he told me that he's raising koi instead of edible fish because Oregon requires expensive licenses for invasive fish like Tilapia.  He said there are even expensive transport licenses for non-invasive, local fish like trout.  So I'm wondering what you other Northwest (preferably Oregon) aquaponics farmers raise?  I'm looking for something cheap, productive, and local so I don't have to worry about heating the water.  I understand that tilapia are the favorite because they're so forgiving of mistakes.  I think I'd rather fail several times before I succeed than be stuck raising tilapia by default.  I also think I'd prefer an omnivorous or herbivorous species, if possible.  What do you guys raise?

Views: 4966

Replies to This Discussion

yeah, i believe that I should actually have it running underneath the compost, I was imagining the coil being inbedded in a shallow concrete flat that is under the compost, I was imagining having actually it be a four by four by twelve box that gives the ability to have three stages, from hot to cool, so the first stage would be the major area of heat. I like the idea of keeping the heat water seperate than the actual fish water- as to not get the fish water too hot, or destroying microbes in it.  We do run a constant compost system- what with all the duck, chicken and rabbit manure- its so awesome to see it just cooking away. I will make sure to not have pressure in that system- I wanted to use a similar concept for heating a hot tub we are planning on putting in the back yard- I love renewable energy- which I feel using compost for its heat truly is. I was also thinking if I incoporate the compost box of 4 x 4 x 12 into my greenhouse I can also use it to heat the greenhouse and benches- now just how I will keep the environment seperate- maybe cob could work.... as my bench for plants that will be on the inside of greenhouse where the compost will only be accessible from the outside.
I wouldn't worry overmuch about it. There are lots of people raising talipia in the area with no problem. I'm in NE portland and have been raising them for a few years. They do prefer warmer water however.

The cost for the propagation permit in Oregon is $127 and the transport license is $27. Both are required and they will want to inspect your system.

Ok got a totally newbie question here.  I want to do rooftop aquaponics with very small systems that are expandable.  Starting with something like this: http://www.olomanagardens.com/aquaponicsyoutubes.html top video.  I know I prefer bass or bluegill myself but bass are deep water fish and I know very little about bluegill.  Does anyone know if they would do ok in a system like this?  Are there any good resource sites where I could learn things like what they eat and what temperature they need etc?  I appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Pam Allen

Citybounty.org

I just ordered 30 channel catfish and 30 pumkinseed fingerlings for my system for $2/each. I ordered from the Santiam Valley Ranch  (503)743-2931, Turner OR, (outside of Salem). Luke Fitzpatrick took my order over the phone and he got enough to file for the transport permit ($12) with the ODFW. The application to ship fish in Oregon is the responsibility of the fish dealer  I was going to get Bluegill but according to Luke the pumkinseeds accept commercial feed more readily. I am trying out catfish and sunfish first, as I am not ready to shell out the $127 for the propagation license required for Tilapia.  The propagation license is only required if you have Tilapia or sell fish.

Picked up my fish yesterday, They look very healthy. I got enough extra for free to more then make up for the $12 permit.   I am very happy with my fish and look forward to purchasing more catfish next year.

Attachments:

Lance Woolen said:

I wouldn't worry overmuch about it. There are lots of people raising talipia in the area with no problem. I'm in NE portland and have been raising them for a few years. They do prefer warmer water however.

Would love to get some talipia. I just got the system ready to go.  Water up to temp.

I also live in NE Portland and have a greenhouse set up that Rick Stillwagon built.

Anyway we could get together this week?

Oma Richmond said:

Lance Woolen said:

Here is link to the ODFW private pond stocking page.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/private_ponds/index.asp

it has all the rules and fees for stocking food fish.

He is a link to a pdf of Oregon fish hatcheries that have fingerlings for sale.

Several have tilapia for sale.

commercial fish producers 

Thanks so much!!

Travis TadeWaldt said:

Here is link to the ODFW private pond stocking page.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/private_ponds/index.asp

it has all the rules and fees for stocking food fish.

He is a link to a pdf of Oregon fish hatcheries that have fingerlings for sale.

Several have tilapia for sale.

commercial fish producers 

my  wife and i are setting up a greenhouse in vancouver and were looking for some tilapia local that we dont have to pay a small fortune to get have any ideas? or know anyone willing to sell a few?

Lance Woolen said:

I've gotten out of tilapia and am raising redclaw crayfish

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service