Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I have a 250 gallon IBC FT nearing the end of it's fishless cycle and I was wondering what people would recommend for type of fish.

Here is a graph of of monthly average temperature values here:

We are looking more at an edible type of fish than we are ornamental. 

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Views: 865

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

what kind of gamefish can you get?  bluegill, catfish, yellow perch would all be good.. might be a little warm for yellow perch in the summer..

Here in SW Florida we are allowed to have Blue Tilapia, Channel Catfish, Yellow Perch, Bluegill, Large Mouth Bass, Trout as well as Ornamentals for personal use. 

Tilapia are pretty awesome fish. Good beginner fish, as they are really hardy. The internet is littered with their survival stories. Plus their temperature preferences are right around your temps.

Personally I think blue tilapia or Hawaiian golds would be a good choice.

I would vote for tilapia as well. It might be a hassle to keep the trout cool down in South Florida

Sounds like you are also using grow beds?

Are the tanks or grow beds outside?

Can you put them in a greenhouse?

Reason I'm asking is you will need temp control so looking at the graph you will need to heat the water.

If the aq system is in a greenhouse you get less heat loss vs outside.

Also insulate the fish tanks helps.  I used 2 layers of 1" salvaged Styrofoam.

You could also set up with the tanks inside in climate control and the grow beds in a greenhouse.

Your graph were you running your water through grow beds just the same as you will when your system is complete?

Reason I ask is the grow beds can change the water temps.

jim

The system is completely outside. I am considering building a lean to greenhouse to help keep the temperature more steady, but will be concerned with high temperatures in the summer.

The graph is an illustration of the local seasonal temperatures, not specific data from my system.

Maybe design your greenhouse to have removable ends for the summer.

Whatever you want to eat might be the best fish, excluding those which can't survive the temps.

A greenhouse is something that really pays back.

You can double plastic sheet it in the very cold times.

The fact that you have much more stable temps and a very long or continuous grow season pays $ back for

the materials needed.

You said lean to so that means you have an existing wall, I'm guessing it is a south facing wall?

I like that gh design best for cold climates.  If you can insulate the wall even better. 

jim

I can attest to that. High winds knocked my pipes off and drained my 300g FT twice and I haven't lost a tilapia yet. Tough fish...

Alex Veidel said:

Tilapia are pretty awesome fish. Good beginner fish, as they are really hardy. The internet is littered with their survival stories. Plus their temperature preferences are right around your temps.

For me Hawaii Gold don't survive very well especially when raised with blue tilapia. The Blues seem to be more aggressive and the Golds are more passive. Golds seem to be less hardy. But it may be that I am doing something wrong.

Steven Gardner said:

Personally I think blue tilapia or Hawaiian golds would be a good choice.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service