Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

What are the Pros and Cons of having a Greehouse in San Antonio TX?

Right now I have a  greenhouse and Last year i ran into different issues with white flies, spider mites  ,black mold Or Fungus (not sure) and heat in San Antonio Texas ,,, I am thinking this year not to have a greenhouse or just take the tarp off and just leave a top with SOLEXX Panels.

, What are the pros and cons of a Greenhouse?  My biggest concern is the heat temperatures got up to over 100 degrees and i was unable to bring down the temperature because of the design which was a tarp type . with a couple of windows for the ventilation,

thank you, 

James

Views: 450

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The traditional "hoophouse" design has some drawbacks. I am currently building a shadehouse/ greenhouse for the Texas area that has better airflow and will moderate the temperature swings. 

Shading, ventilation, and thermal mass are all things that will help you get through the summer.

We built the first "solar" houses in 1980 in a Texas state funded project. I was on the team. The design is now popularly called the Chinese Greenhouse, but like most things, the Chinese just took our design and ran with it. My latest iteration has much more thermal mass and insulation in critical areas like the west.

What is the best shade cloth to use for the Texas Area?

60% would be my opinion, but you might ask others.

James, I'm near Austin and I sorta had the same question.  I know a greenhouse would be beneficial to keep heat in for the cooler days/nights we have but I wondered on really really hot days if it would be a detriment.  I read other benefits would be protection from the elements and critters.  I'm so torn on if I should add a greenhouse to mine which is in the process of being set up - slowly but surly.  I was just looking at a portable option, instead of a permanent structure.

Any thoughts and ideas would possibly push me in the right direction.

Hello Neeley the structure I have is movable one and its a shelter logic greenhouse ,,,its a tarp with a metal frame,, i was mostly interested in the metal frame being the Texas sun is so harsh and will tear up a hoop house which is made of pvc pipe and plastic sheeting,, my structure is a year old now and the tarp has worn out and holes have developed  on the top so i bought a product called SOLEXX paneling to give it a cap,,, the paneling is not sealed at the top but it overlaps to prevent rain from coming in.. the intentions is to let the hot air out during the summer.

. I am making improvements as I go / budget permitting. My thoughts for this year is to possibly open the sides and put shade cloth let air flow and cage traps on the inside for the critters with ONE BITE AS BAIT,,they seem to like it like candy because they keep coming for more all the time,,, what i caught was roof rats and possum so far.  If you have any other questions let me know,, i have attached pics of what i have.
Neely Anderson said:

James, I'm near Austin and I sorta had the same question.  I know a greenhouse would be beneficial to keep heat in for the cooler days/nights we have but I wondered on really really hot days if it would be a detriment.  I read other benefits would be protection from the elements and critters.  I'm so torn on if I should add a greenhouse to mine which is in the process of being set up - slowly but surly.  I was just looking at a portable option, instead of a permanent structure.

Any thoughts and ideas would possibly push me in the right direction.

Attachments:
just go with 60% shade cloth all summer long, then replace the plastic in the fall...

if I could attach a picture I would... but for some reason we cant any more?!?!?!?!!

Thanks James.  I pulled the trigger on this:

(If I don't use it for my aquaponic system, I'll find another use for it...or find someone worth of it and give it away.)

Rob, you should raise hell (kidding) about not being able to attach a picture...because that would help me tremendously.  Does the shade cloth just cover the tank, or the bed too?  I'd like to see a set up so I can get it in my head.  Cause I'll probably have more questions.

I've had the same tarp for my greenhouse for 5 years now holding up really nicely

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service