Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hi all,

I am very new to Aquaponics and I am thinking of ways of keep the running costs down (electric),

Can anyone advise on what height water can be lifted by way of an air lift pumping system.

Is it a valid and consistent way of moving water and what if any are the draw backs.

I know I will need air pumps for the fish but before i go and buy one and a water pump I thought I would ask the question, do I really need both in a gravity fed system if the air lift system works.

Any suggestions or information would be greatly appreciated. 

Duncan.

Views: 2691

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They work better for "moving water around" than "lifting" it above the tank.  Either raising water from the bottom of the tank to the top, or raising it just enough to get over the side of the tank.

AquaticEco has some info on airlifts: Airlift Notes

Thanks for sharing that link Bob. I've been wanting to get some more information on airlift pumps and their use in aquaponics ever since I heard about Glenn Martinez's system. Seems like a great idea if it's all it's cracked up to be :)

Bob Campbell said:

Duncan I like airlift pumps.  They are more reliable and less expensive to operate.

Here is a link I think you will enjoy

http://community.theaquaponicsource.com/group/sacramento-aquaponics...

Thank you for the info

David - WI said:

They work better for "moving water around" than "lifting" it above the tank.  Either raising water from the bottom of the tank to the top, or raising it just enough to get over the side of the tank.

AquaticEco has some info on airlifts: Airlift Notes

Bob Campbell said:

Airlifts can do more than circulate.  If your tank is shallow, use a bulkhead exactly like you would for a standpipe.  Drop that plumping down 24" or more and then up to where you wish to pump the water.  With the extra depth your airlift can achieve a lot more than circulation.  Then if you want to get fancy build a Geyser Pump. 

this is what i thought of building as a vertical growing system.

Duncan Cooley said:

Bob Campbell said:

Airlifts can do more than circulate.  If your tank is shallow, use a bulkhead exactly like you would for a standpipe.  Drop that plumping down 24" or more and then up to where you wish to pump the water.  With the extra depth your airlift can achieve a lot more than circulation.  Then if you want to get fancy build a Geyser Pump. 

How high can a Geyser pump lift water compared to just a normal air lift pump,   thanks for your time in drawing one, it makes it easier to understand...   cheers Duncan.

Duncan Cooley said:

this is what i thought of building as a vertical growing system.

Duncan Cooley said:

Bob Campbell said:

Bob

3.5 ft deep tank - Maximum lift = %60 X 3.5?  about 2 feet?  How much air would I need to do that?

Hi Bob, I'm not trying to reinvent the vertical tower, it's just that I can't import the towers to Indonesia, i really like Bright Agrotech's system and my hat goes off to the people there. 

Also the expense of transport and import duties. my partner she has an import / export licence, but every time she imports anything she has to bribe the customs officials so that they will release the goods.

The corruption here is beyond belief, so I thought i would try a cheaper way, that's all 

Bob Campbell said:

Duncan, the concept looks good but I would lower the fish tank and filter.  Take a look at what Nate Storie is doing at Bright Agrotech

I would not try to reinvent the vertical system.  Just buy what he has already proven to work. If you think you can do it cheaper then I would buy the first set of towers from him so that you know what to duplicate.  He has every little detail worked out. Also subscribe and watch all of his videos. They have made some of the best AP videos available anywhere,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service