Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hi all,

Hope this was the right way to pose this question...On a forum discussion...

I am thinking through a new way to increase my fish tank area inexpensively....IBC's are not plentiful or cheap here...but I am close to orchard country.  So I was wondering for any of you knew if using those wooden orchard crates would work for fish tanks?  Of course I would line them with a pond liner.   Most of the orchard crates around here are about 3' tall, and 4'X4'.  They are usually made of plywood.  I think I would need to re-enforce the corners for strength and maybe some more along the top...But not being an engineer, I do not know if they would be strong enough to hold the water volume...Anyone know? Any pointers?

- Converse

Views: 151

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think it will hold close to 3 thousand lbs of water without any reinforcement.How thick is the plywood? Might be a good idea to post a pic ,so we can get a better idea on how they are constructed. You can start by constructing a frame for it to sit in.Take a look at http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?63850-DIY-amp-MODs-%28... .Hope this helps

And if you are in termite territory, beware of using lumber against liner.  There will be condensation between the lumber and the liner and this makes a very inviting space for pests.

Only one way to truly find out :D

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service