Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

What common sense knowledge is necessary to build an aquaponic system?  Specifics are useful!

As I have neerly none: what I do know is some building skills, media; however not plumbing, and  fish.

Sorry for the jumbled question. (insert happy emotocon)

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

OK, Eric, the first skill is having a sense of humor...and you clearly have that (insert happy emoticon)

Then I would say the second is to know when to ask questions!  Some basic plant and fish skills are a good thing to have too.  But if you follow the basic guidelines (Rules of Thumb on the Home page) and ask a lot of questions you will be fine.

To learn some of the basic plumbing stuff I would suggest the barrel ponics manual even if you are not going to build that system, it can still give a good sense of the project and help you learn your way around the plumbing department of Lowes.

http://www.aquaponiclynx.com/ Link to the Barrel Ponics Manual is about half way down the page.

Lots of reading will help.

Building a small scale system to learn some lessons and get your feet wet so to speak can help.  Practice with the test kit even before you get fish to learn what your source water and media will do to you.

Post pictures of your space and materials and get help online with suggestions or design improvements before you get too far along.  Diagrams will help this process too.

An open mind is gonna be an asset.
I read that on theaquaponicssource.com I believe when it was still a blog post. I do not remember any part of my question on there, but I will read it again. You are probably right though. 

Sylvia Bernstein said:

OK, Eric, the first skill is having a sense of humor...and you clearly have that (insert happy emoticon)

Then I would say the second is to know when to ask questions!  Some basic plant and fish skills are a good thing to have too.  But if you follow the basic guidelines (Rules of Thumb on the Home page) and ask a lot of questions you will be fine.

The home page in this site is what I meant, Eric.  Sorry...should have been more specific.  Here is a link http://aquaponicscommunity.com/page/aquaponic-gardening-rules-of

Eric Warwick said:
I read that on theaquaponicssource.com I believe when it was still a blog post. I do not remember any part of my question on there, but I will read it again. You are probably right though. 

Sylvia Bernstein said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service