Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

My small indoor aquarium project has been going very well, so I decided to expand to a proper aquaponics set-up. I've got a 110 stock tank from Tractor Supply. I'm building a box for the GB out of lumber and a waterbed liner pond liner.  The waterbed liner had too many pinpoint holes to patch.  I'm placing dow blue board under the liner to help insulate and protect the liner from snags in the plywood. I'm using an old aquarium pump rated for over 600 GPH, so I'm going to tee back to the FT for aeration.

The water was still cloudy after washing the media, so I used air conditioner filter to help remove some of the sediments.  I placed it below the pipe from the tee off of the pump.

I also had to add a shop light above the tomatoes, due to the VERY long and VERY cold spring we are having here.  You can see that I planted my tomatoes WAYYY too early for the spring we are having.

Views: 425

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

This is a neat efficient set-up: very nice!  I am also in an apartment and looking to build a system.  But I do not have a balcony, porch, patio, etc.  I'm not sure if it's too crazy to put a system indoors (my living room) or not...

I think I've got figured out how much weight the floor will hold, I'm just worried about dumping 100+ gallons on the floor when I have a plumbing failure. I have everything planned except the plumbing at this point... I have 2 GBs and I want to make sure they don't fill them at the same time (to keep the water level high enough in the FT).

That loop auto-siphon is boss!  Do you worry about it getting moved?  Particularly by cats or drunk people?

Good to know about the loop syphons compaired to the bell syphons. I have a working bell syphon but know I need to learn about using the loops.  I just toured a fish room from a member of the NEw Hampshire aquarium society and he uses this method but with many shelves and multiple tanks. The loops work with his automatic water changing system. Advanced fish keeping plumbing knowledge is so relative to people building AP systems.

Great work and thanks for sharing photo's of your work Robert and Averan. The deck AP system shows how anyone can grow their own with limited space and resources.

There isn't much to worry about in terms of indoor plumbing.  I've had many different aquarium set-ups in my houses over the years.  I rarely have an overflow and those where tanks I had built before I learned how to safeguard against overflows.  If you ensure that the bottom FT has enough volume to hold the GB volume, you can't have an overflow from it.  If you ensure that the drain in the GB cannot become clogged or leak, you can avoid the overflow there.

In terms of renters insurance, you can ask for the 'pipe bursting' additional coverage (about 30 bucks/yr).  I can never remember the name of it, haha.  I have had that for years to cover me in case of water damage to my landlords property. 

I haven't had to worry about the loop being bumped from its position yet, but I am planning to put in a pipe hanging bracket (the S-brackets) to ensure that doesn't happen. 

Ellen Roelofs said:

I'm not sure if it's too crazy to put a system indoors (my living room) or not...

I think I've got figured out how much weight the floor will hold, I'm just worried about dumping 100+ gallons on the floor when I have a plumbing failure. I have everything planned except the plumbing at this point... I have 2 GBs and I want to make sure they don't fill them at the same time (to keep the water level high enough in the FT).

That loop auto-siphon is boss!  Do you worry about it getting moved?  Particularly by cats or drunk people?

I couldn't agree more!  I gained all of my plumbing knowledge from fellow aquarium hobbyist.

Jonathan Farrand said:

Advanced fish keeping plumbing knowledge is so relative to people building AP systems.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service