Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I joined last fall about the time weather got ugly and stopped my process.  Have my beds built and with gravel.  Have a 55 gal drum biological pond filter for my 500 gal goldfish (for now) pond.  I plan to move the contents of this drum into the three beds.  Usually in the spring when, before the goldfish begin eating, I run compressed air into the drum to agitate the solids and then drain the water and solids into garbage cans to use in our raised beds.  The filter is inactive right now and will fire up when the fish do their thing. 

Question:  Do I flush the solids before I transfer.  Are solids a problem in my beds?   If so what are methods to deal with them.

Thanks  Hank Fountain  Kingston, WA

Views: 120

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nope, solids are good in your bed. (grow bed, that is :) I recommend adding some redworms to your media bed as well. They do a great job of breaking down any solid waste.

Thanks, gives me something to do this weekend.

Alex Veidel said:

Nope, solids are good in your bed. (grow bed, that is I recommend adding some redworms to your media bed as well. They do a great job of breaking down any solid waste.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service