Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

transferring new system. need to borrow 55 gallon barrells, a fish babysitter, and maybe a visit...

Hi.  I'm new here and am getting a running system this weekend (or next).  I learned about AP last week, got a good deal, grabbed it and now realize there is more to it than i thought.  book is on the way in the mail and while i try to make sense of it on this site I feel like i'm waisting time where I could be prepping my water.  I'm still not clear on what to put in the water i have off-gassing, what i need to buy and where i need to buy it. 

i will be getting 10 1-2 lb fish with the system and want to keep them alive.  It was suggested to me on the main forum that i try to find someone in AZ to take my fish for me while I cycle my system.  i hate to ask but thought i'd go with the suggestion and at least post it for now, then figure out if that would make sense or not for my situation.  i  hate to ask for things!  but i'm on a role, cuz i'd also like to see if anyone has any 55 gallon barrels i could borrow to transfer water and if anyone by me (Ahwatukee) has a system i could see and a chat so i could learn more of what i need to do!  

also, if anyone can post any ideas and advice as to thoughts on how i should be getting started-what stores do i go to to get what products that'd be great!  i heard to get hydrated lime from a hardware store so far but i don't know what to do with it.  i have a pool ph tester from a friend so hopefully that will tell me something for now.  for now i have 2 10 gallong fish tanks, the large recycling bin and a couple of coolers off-gassing. i may end up emptying them anyway to use them to transport as much water from the running system as i can to get it home.  thx much!

Views: 431

Replies to This Discussion

Step 1 get a fresh water testing kit. Step 2 design your system and let us know what type of system you are building (or apparently bought). Let us know the water in gallons for this system too. As for things to add to the water - throw them all out, you won't need anything until your system is cycled. You can cycle a system with fish in the system, it just may take a little longer to cycle.

In lieu of 55 gallon drums, you might re-purpose your city of Phoenix trash cans, which hold 100 gal. or so.

This is not the best time of year to start up an outdoor system and fish of this size would need a BIG aquarium inside.

If you live in the North Central Phoenix area, I may be able to get you pointed in the right direction.

In the way of introduction see my Blog Robert Rowe - AP Journal on Arizona Aquaponics

My Cell # is 602-799-7208 I answer to Robert or Bob

I can watch your fish, have plenty of room as I'm just bringing 2 additional jacuzzi fish tanks into one of my systems, I can keep yours separate if you contact me in the next few days.  I'm near the 101 and Chaparral in  Scottsdale  I'm well established with 4 years of experience.

Don't add anything to your system until it is a month or two old.  See what you have and go from there, the fish will be fine in just plain old water.  It will help to get an API (fresh water master test kit) from pet-co/smart ($30)  If you can get keep some media wet and a healthy dose of water for the original system, you will be ahead of the bacteria game.  Remember, it's all about the bacteria, fish and veggies are by products...

Jim

Well, one sure way to learn is to jump right in! I agree with the others: get a test kit and, don't add anything to the water.

You're getting an established system, so assuming you're able to move things quickly, you may already be cycled! And with fish that size, it will be easy to get the system up to speed again if it gets out of whack.

Any media from the system will be more valuable than the water, because the bacteria lives abundantly in the media. You can probably transfer the fish & the media and leave a lot of the water behind. But treat the media and any bacteria filters just like fish - they need fresh, aerated water. 

Once you get the system to the destination and set up, start adding water. If you get a hold of a 55 gallon barrel, use that to degass & add it to the system every day until you're system is full. If you move quickly, your system can be happily in balance within a week.

You're welcome to come visit us if you don't mind traveling to Gilbert!

Oh, and welcome to aquaponics!!

Matt, thx for your help!  i will be getting:

1 -- 295 gallon GBC/fish tank
2 -- GBC Media beds with rocks, bell siphons and Plants
1 -- 200 gallon sump (estimated size)
1 -- 600+gph pump with warrantee and all the piping (piping is not glued; no leaks)

10 Blue Tilapia, 4@2 or more lbs each and 6@1 or more lbs and in sump 3 blue tilapia that are less than a pound. 13 total fish

Matt Miskinnis said:

Step 1 get a fresh water testing kit. Step 2 design your system and let us know what type of system you are building (or apparently bought). Let us know the water in gallons for this system too. As for things to add to the water - throw them all out, you won't need anything until your system is cycled. You can cycle a system with fish in the system, it just may take a little longer to cycle.

Jim, I was speaking with Robert Rowe and he mentioned you so I'm glad to hear from you!  It seems if I don't have to worry about fish or water so much it'll save at least 1/3 of my worries of how to keep my fish alive while I get the sytsem going.  I'd love to talk with you about housing the fish at your place and we could work somethign out where it is worth it for you.  or if transferring them, then transferring them again isn't a good idea we could do a trade for when I'm ready or something like that...?  feel free to contact me here or email me at kim romen @ yahoo or 480-705-0685.  

I'm waiting for a confirmation but i think we're getting the system on sunday, but I could check with the seller to see if I could get the fish sooner to get them to you; sunday may be idea, though if it works for you.  BTW, the fish are in Tempe and I'm in Ahwatuke.  thx!

Jim Troyer said:

I can watch your fish, have plenty of room as I'm just bringing 2 additional jacuzzi fish tanks into one of my systems, I can keep yours separate if you contact me in the next few days.  I'm near the 101 and Chaparral in  Scottsdale  I'm well established with 4 years of experience.

Don't add anything to your system until it is a month or two old.  See what you have and go from there, the fish will be fine in just plain old water.  It will help to get an API (fresh water master test kit) from pet-co/smart ($30)  If you can get keep some media wet and a healthy dose of water for the original system, you will be ahead of the bacteria game.  Remember, it's all about the bacteria, fish and veggies are by products...

Jim

Sheri, thx for the help.  would u say that carrying the lava rock on a tarp would work and keeping it wet with the same water it came in and some off-gassed tap water could work?  i might be able to get 100 gallons home without stressing it so much but that is mostly with the brand new recycling bin i just got delivered to my home yesterday.  i'm thinking i should even dump out the water that's been sitting in it and give it a fresh batch.  i worry about the chemicals in the brand new plastic.  interesting that u say most of the bacteria live in the mead and nice to hear i could ditch most of the water and still maybe be fine.  

Gilbert's not right next door, but I'd love to visit.  pls feel free to email or call me, see #/email above in last post.  thx again!

Sheri Schmeckpeper said:

Well, one sure way to learn is to jump right in! I agree with the others: get a test kit and, don't add anything to the water.

You're getting an established system, so assuming you're able to move things quickly, you may already be cycled! And with fish that size, it will be easy to get the system up to speed again if it gets out of whack.

Any media from the system will be more valuable than the water, because the bacteria lives abundantly in the media. You can probably transfer the fish & the media and leave a lot of the water behind. But treat the media and any bacteria filters just like fish - they need fresh, aerated water. 

Once you get the system to the destination and set up, start adding water. If you get a hold of a 55 gallon barrel, use that to degass & add it to the system every day until you're system is full. If you move quickly, your system can be happily in balance within a week.

You're welcome to come visit us if you don't mind traveling to Gilbert!

Oh, and welcome to aquaponics!!

Hi Kim:

Sheri is correct regarding the media, it's like gold.  We are after all bacteria farmers first and foremost.  Moving the media covered with a tarp should work because the core of the "pile" of media should stay damp.  Make sure you have out-gassed water to put it in when you get home and aeration if you don't have water flow right away and you should be alright.  As long as bacteria some survives it will bounce back quickly.  If you are going to take more than a few hours to get things rolling a small dose of  ammonia to feed the bacteria might be a good idea.  I'll give the right as grocery store brands have detergents that are not fish safe.  You are welcome to bring some media to immerse in my system too if you are worried about timeliness of your move (better safe than sorry).

I'll call you after dinner tonight to discuss bringing your fish over, I'm happy to help!

BTW: you are speaking to great resources here.  Matt, Sheri (and spouse Bob), Bob Rowe and me were 80% of the aquaponics tour held in May.  So you are getting great advice and it is all telling you the same things.  Welcome aboard!

all the best,

Jim

Hey Kim, if you end up going over to Jim's I live less than a minute away from him, so I can show you my system if you'd like.  

Jim:  do you still need help with the jacuzzi moving?  Let me know, and if you have some fish food I'd like to buy some - I went to the place in mesa and bought a 50 pounds of koi pellets, but they are much bigger then the pellets you have and my smaller fish can't eat them. 

Sure Matt on the food, I'll make you a trade if my bigger fish will eat it... just call or stop over, I'm around most of the time.

I got the jacuzzi(s) moved and I'm plumbing them tonight 3 in a row Woo Who! thanks anyway.  Will call you later on the pool table however, that 8' 1 piece slate is heavy.  At some point it needs to go from the garage to the back patio but after I restore the base, so it'll be a while.

Jim

Cool, I'll bring over some of the food I got this weekend and trade you.  The bigger fish seem to have no issues with it.  I can't wait to check out this new set up!  I'll give you a call this weekend, probably Saturday, and get together!

Jim and Matt, thx for the help!  i'd love to see both of your systems.  Jim, feel free to call me anytime tonight.  i'll be up, trying to figure this all out.  I'll sleep better if i have a plan in place.  :)  and if u're not able to call feel free to post if u think sunday will work.  I'm trying to confirm things with our help and the seller and the person who's helping us transport it.  thx!! 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service