Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hi -

I have been unable to locate Tilapia on Vancouver Island.....does anyone know of any? I don't really want to ship them from Ontario this winter. I have emailed and called the University of Vancouver Island plus Red Fish Farms with no luck. I live off another island off of Van. Island, so it takes me a bit of travel time to get anywhere!

Thanks for any help!

Views: 1645

Replies to This Discussion

That is an interesting question I have wondered about. Could you move enough cycled water/gravel to keep the bacteria alive? The fish should be ok with air. You can get a little inverter at Canadian tire- it plugs into the cigarette lighter, you can plug a regular plug into it and run an air pump or filter.

as long as its stays moist bacteria should fine in the short term ... you are talking a day trip setup the next day?

Looks like I will have to part with the Tilapia.  About a dozen, 6-8" each. Jon Nose, or others near victoria please me if interested.  I Also have extra hydrocorn grow media if anyone is interested or the complete system if anyone is interested.  I'm open to offers for the fish, the system or anything else pictured here.  A moving sale of sorts.  

oops, please contact me

How goes the Tilapia Supply on the Island. After many delays my system is almost ready to start cycling so time to start looking for fish 

Hi Mike-

It's been tough finding fish....am working on breeding some so I don't run into challenges again.  There is a fish store in Coombs that has some.  If you have no luck keep emailing me and I might be able to help you out depending on how fast you want them.  Good luck!

Mike Bewcyk said:

How goes the Tilapia Supply on the Island. After many delays my system is almost ready to start cycling so time to start looking for fish 

Hey Mike, Lana, Have a couple of Talapia in the house .. you are welcome to them to get some breeding going on ... have 2 male and female ...

Hey everyone,

My Tilapia have been breeding so have a few hundred fry that I will let go pretty cheap if anyone is interested...mostly blue with a mix of nile...very hardy and growing fast! Am located in Duncan but head into Nanaimo pretty regularly for work 

Nathan

I would interested in some for sure  

Mike Bewcyk said:

I would interested in some for sure  

Hey Mike, sounds good, how many you need? 

I would be interested in a dozen or two.

Nathan Harben said:

Hey everyone,

My Tilapia have been breeding so have a few hundred fry that I will let go pretty cheap if anyone is interested...mostly blue with a mix of nile...very hardy and growing fast! Am located in Duncan but head into Nanaimo pretty regularly for work 

Nathan

Looking for about 50 or so, but was can talk about that.  I have a male and a female adult was looking into breeding them  but I would need a few more female for that to work.  

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service