Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hi -

I have been unable to locate Tilapia on Vancouver Island.....does anyone know of any? I don't really want to ship them from Ontario this winter. I have emailed and called the University of Vancouver Island plus Red Fish Farms with no luck. I live off another island off of Van. Island, so it takes me a bit of travel time to get anywhere!

Thanks for any help!

Views: 1645

Replies to This Discussion

How big a system you building .. and how far along are you?

Am getting there...scored a free 2.5kL tank from my local hatchery but wont be filling it at this point. just going to start small....am thinking around 50 fish...just plumbing everything up atm...have it in a greenhouse so am hoping to save on heating! what temp do you keep your water??

If my math is correct thats about 625 gallons .. nice .. what kind of grow beds you planning on?  how big of a green house do you have?

Water temp over winter dropped to 40 degrees ... put all the fish in one tank with a couple of 300 watt heaters .. maintained temp around 55..

grow beds still in set up phase...found an old bath (trying to use all recycled material) and found a few other fibreglass tanks...going to do ebb and flow in bath and floating rafts for lettuce in the others...I think ;)

green house is big...around 65m long by 5 wide

On a side note does anyone know of a good fish food brand/supplier on the island for talapia? 

thanks!

Go to share care in Ladysmith ,,,

Nathan Harben said:

On a side note does anyone know of a good fish food brand/supplier on the island for talapia? 

thanks!

Hey Jon, Do you have any more Tilapia you would part with???? My first system is cycling and should be ready in a week or 2, looking for 20 or so fishies.

thanks! Heather

Hoping to start seeing babies in a week or so ... if you live on the mainland maybe able to find you a closer source.

I live in the kootenays, the little guys would have to go airmail if you're willing to send em.

Or if anybody can tip me off to a closer source I would be forever in your debt!

Heather try Claude-Michel as he is in your neighborhood

http://community.theaquaponicsource.com/profile/ClaudeMichelPrevost

I've have a 55 gal setup going since Feb.  I have 14 tilapia (range of sizes/blue and red nile), and now unfortunately I have to move to Smithers.  Currently in Victoria.  I'd rather keep the whole system, but this might not be feasable.  If anyone has ideas how to move a system and keep it alive?  Otherwise, obviously there's a demand for tilapia here, and I'm afraid I am going to have to part with them.  Pictures to follow, I will consider offers to sell the whole system.  :(

Joel

You could move fish in a cooler and use a portable battery air pump ... other wise may be interest in fish depending on what you are looking for.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service