Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hey Natalie, I don't know of suppliers in Ontario, as I'm from out West, and know of Tilapia in B.C. and Alberta, not sure how the shipping would work. Have you talked with aquarium shops? Never Know!

Views: 4432

Replies to This Discussion

Okay, so how do we get the fish from onside of Canda to the other?!

tilly the tilapia said:
Well the fish actually do the work ,but yes for over 10 years now.

Hi steve

I am not allowed to sell them as I am in litigation and it seems to keep getting stalled

Hi, has anyone found a way to buy tilapia fingerlings in Vancouver? I need to buy some tilapia fingerlings in Vancouver and spent a bunch of time hunting but no luck... I think I am going to have t start phoning around like in the olden days!

:-)

I have not found any yet and have not had any response from the places I contacted.

Hi There,

I found somebody through facebook who is willing to sell tilapia fingerlings and ship them to canada for $2/fish plus $85 for shipping min order 25. If anybody is looking for tilapia fingerlings send me a email at aquaponicscanada@gmail.com and i will direct you to her. Thanks

Moe

Problem is customs wont let you bring the tilapia across the border. as of December 15th the rules changed and the CFIA is now managing aquaculture importation into Canada. You will require a permit. I've talked to the folks at CFIA and CBS. I brought a big batch of Tilapia in prior to that date. You can try and sneak em in, but there may be hefty fines for that!

see below:

"

Dino:
Thank you for the phone call today..
On December 22, 2010, amendments to the Health of Animals Regulations with respect to regulating aquatic animals were published in Canada Gazette II. These amendments enable the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) to implement the National Aquatic Animal Health Program which allows the CFIA to better safeguard the health of domestic industry from the import of aquatic animal diseases, enhance domestic surveillance and put into place an emergency plan to respond to disease outbreaks.
The effective date for the enforcement of import controls of aquatic animals and their products is December 10, 2011. Until that time, there are no CFIA permits or other license requirements with respect to aquatic animal health and the importation and movement of tropical or ornamental fish species into Canada.
There is a list of susceptible aquatic animal species which includes tilapia that will be specifically regulated and will need a permit. It is anticipated that other aquatic animal species not on that list will not require one. Please note exemptions have been proposed for pet aquatic animals.
Unfortunately, I do not see tilapia on the list of “pet fish”.
For further information on import requirements for other aquatic animal species or the amendments to the regulations and the new Aquatic Animal Health import program you can visit:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/aqua/imp/impe.shtml
For information with regards to the susceptible aquatic species, you can visit:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/aqua/disemala/spliste.shtml
For information on the diseases of concern to Canada, please follow the link below:
http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/aqua/disemala/repe.shtml

It is advisable to visit the CITES website to ensure that the species of tropical fish you wish to bring into Canada are not listed on this site and/or would require other documentation. The website address is:
http://www.ec.gc.ca/nature/default.asp?lang=En&n=1BC82E16-1)

It is also worthy to note that certain provinces and territories have importation requirements that must be satisfied and thus contact with these government offices for further advice is highly recommended.
I would also advise you to contact the Canadian Border Service Agency with regards to the details of their requirements for declaration and transport of the animals back into Canada. You can visit their website at http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/menu-eng.html or toll free at 1-800-461-9999.
If you have any further questions please let me know."

Hi Dino

What kind of tilapia did you bring in ?

I am looking for different tilapia for cross breeding

have the nile

I've also got nile. I have afew white brooks as well Im not quite sure what they are. just added them to the order. Where are you located?

tilly the tilapia said:

Hi Dino

have the nile

Dino Pantelidis said:

I've also got nile. I have afew white brooks as well Im not quite sure what they are. just added them to the order. Where are you located?

tilly the tilapia said:

Hi Dino

have the nile

hi

Moncton nb

Dino, thanks for posting the info on the new regulations on cross border fish transfers.
I brought a breeding pair back from seattle in the fall. I won't attempt that again.
I just seperated a couple hundred fry this past weekend :)
Might have to buy another ibc...

Hi ;I'm in Golden BC & we are looking for Tilapia fish ; tote containers etc. as we are are about to put a Aquaponics set up into our greenhouse in March. so any info. would be greatly apreciated. Thanks Brian O

Greetings, Having left Edgewater, B.C. and Canada behind in favour of warmer climes, you're welcome to check out my tanks, system etc, pictures on facebook @   Eric Friesen   , guess there is a place to post pictures here, however that could be a whole other learning curve. Thanks, Eric

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service