Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

Hey Natalie, I don't know of suppliers in Ontario, as I'm from out West, and know of Tilapia in B.C. and Alberta, not sure how the shipping would work. Have you talked with aquarium shops? Never Know!

Views: 4432

Replies to This Discussion

I was going to bring Tilapia fingerlings back on my last trip south of the border, but had some unrelated border crossing issues(work related).

I did stumbled across a live seafood shop on in Vancouver on Kingsway that sells Tilapia. Not sure if they're treated with steroids to make them all male.

Like Steve and Mark on the Island, I would prefer a batch of fingerlings. I'm not ready to start heating my 270 gallon tank yet....but have a 30 gallon aquarium cycled and waiting for fingerlings.

I'd be in for a shared shipment!

Mark,

It looks like there are a number of us looking for fingerlings! If I come up with a source I will let you know.

Steve

Mark Milotay said:

Hi Steve,

I am on the Island as well, and I am looking for fingerlings. If you source some out and want someone to go in on them with you, let me know.

Thanks,

Mark

steve foster said:

I'm on Vancouver Island and am looking for some Tilapia fingerlings.  Any ideas?

Darrin,

I will let you know if I come up with a source.

Steve

Darrin Charbonneau said:

I was going to bring Tilapia fingerlings back on my last trip south of the border, but had some unrelated border crossing issues(work related).

I did stumbled across a live seafood shop on in Vancouver on Kingsway that sells Tilapia. Not sure if they're treated with steroids to make them all male.

Like Steve and Mark on the Island, I would prefer a batch of fingerlings. I'm not ready to start heating my 270 gallon tank yet....but have a 30 gallon aquarium cycled and waiting for fingerlings.

I'd be in for a shared shipment!

Hi

have you tried red fish ranch for fingerlings

ericjf7 said:

Lo guys, I remember seeing a video of a barrel ponics experiment at Malispina College, OK, so here it is  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwMEulvJ2Ps&playnext=1&list=...    ---- might give you a lead  Good luck, Eric

Mark Milotay said:

Hi Steve,

I am on the Island as well, and I am looking for fingerlings. If you source some out and want someone to go in on them with you, let me know.

Thanks,

Mark

steve foster said:

I'm on Vancouver Island and am looking for some Tilapia fingerlings.  Any ideas?

Thanks for the lead. I will try them next week when I get back home.

Steve

Hi Eric,

Im from Edmonton and i'm looking for tilapia fingerlings...anyone you can refer please...

Thanks.

Richard

Hi Eric,

I'm from Edmonton and looking for tilapia fingerlings...do you have anyone you can refer please....thanks.

Richard

I've emailed Red Fish Ranch twice and they've not got back to me. Has anyone else had success in contacting them?

Are there any other Canadian sources of fingerlings that anyone knows of?

Thanks,

Mark

tilly the tilapia said:

Hi

have you tried red fish ranch for fingerlings

ericjf7 said:

Lo guys, I remember seeing a video of a barrel ponics experiment at Malispina College, OK, so here it is  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwMEulvJ2Ps&playnext=1&list=...    ---- might give you a lead  Good luck, Eric

Mark Milotay said:

Hi Steve,

Thanks,

Mark

steve foster said:

I have e-mails out to Red Fish Ranch and Vancouver Island University Fisheries & Aquaculture Department but have not heard back. If I hear from them I will let you know.

Steve

I sent emails to redfish ranch a long time ago and no reply

Phoned several times but no reply

Maybe they do not want to talk to the public

Mr.chapman in ontario is is not active at the moment

As far as I no I am the only active breeder in canada

The aquaculture management of canada [dfo] does not no of any active hatcherys in canada

Wish you luck

You may have to import

So do you breed them?

Steve
tilly the tilapia said:

I sent emails to redfish ranch a long time ago and no reply

Phoned several times but no reply

Maybe they do not want to talk to the public

Mr.chapman in ontario is is not active at the moment

As far as I no I am the only active breeder in canada

The aquaculture management of canada [dfo] does not no of any active hatcherys in canada

Wish you luck

You may have to import

Well the fish actually do the work ,but yes for over 10 years now.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service