Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I checked state of Louisiana regulations regarding raising tilapia and they are extensive and very stringent if you are to follow the law, which is what I will do. So I've decided not to raise tilapia even though that is what I would have preferred. I wanted a food fish that is an omnivore, but am having a hard time finding species that are suitable. I'm nearly sure that I will raise Koi along with a food fish (as opposed to ornamental). Some candidates are: hybrid bluegill, black crappie, hybrid buffalo, and the perennial catfish. I would appreciate any suggestions especially suitable for the Gulf South.

Views: 2739

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is a link that might help on the indexing valve explanation.
Scanned through the Louisiana rules - which part was particularly onerous? I was amused by the bit that the shipping vehicle had to have "TILAPIA" written on at least two sides of the truck in letters no less than 6" high. I can see that having two adults who are both fully conversant in tilapia culture, etc., might be a problem for those without a partner of some sort.

I did some quick research on legality of tilapia culture at the state level - seems like most states (Maine, Utah, and Nevada excepted) allow tilapia. Curious about local regulations that are more restrictive (e.g., all of Northern California?!?!?!).

http://3x5aquaponics.blogspot.com/2010/11/tilapia-legal-in-your-tow...
Took 4-hour introduction to aquaponics a couple weeks ago here in Omaha and the suggestion/question was raised about the feasibility of using freshwater drum in the upper midwest due to its wide range of habitat from Gulf to Great Lakes.  Anyone have any experience with them in an aquaponics situation?

Did you come to a decision on what fish to use?


My wife an i are in the same situation. (we are still in the planning phase)

i've heard that crappie are hard to feed train, but i did read one post somewhere where a person was feeding them with pellets..

there's a lot of hype surrounding "hybrid" bluegills.. the main reason hybrids were develeped was so that most would be male, and therefore have less of a chance of overpopulating a pond.. regular bluegill grow just as well after the first year..

catfish grow well, but need a big tank... is the buffalo a bass?  they have a pretty bad fcr...(something like 10:1)

what to the Bluegill eat? are the omnivorous like Talapia?

Keith Rowan said:

i've heard that crappie are hard to feed train, but i did read one post somewhere where a person was feeding them with pellets..

there's a lot of hype surrounding "hybrid" bluegills.. the main reason hybrids were develeped was so that most would be male, and therefore have less of a chance of overpopulating a pond.. regular bluegill grow just as well after the first year..

catfish grow well, but need a big tank... is the buffalo a bass?  they have a pretty bad fcr...(something like 10:1)

bluegill will do fine on the same type of pellets that you would feed to tilapia (36% protein) but they also do well with game fish food (46% protein)

supplement with worms/insects/feeder fish

they won't really eat much vegetation, but mine have nibbled on duckweed

thanks

So if I go with Bluegill i should probably start a worm farm and raise some feeder fish.



Keith Rowan said:

bluegill will do fine on the same type of pellets that you would feed to tilapia (36% protein) but they also do well with game fish food (46% protein)

supplement with worms/insects/feeder fish

they won't really eat much vegetation, but mine have nibbled on duckweed

I use bluegill and they do fine on pellets. They do love it when I toss in worms and I presume they snap up the slugs I toss in from time to time. I can buy 50 pounds of 'lil strike pond  pellets for under $20. I'd love to get to self sustainability with worms and BSF, but it's nice to know I can feed my fish inexpensively while I'm waiting for the rest of my stuff to get working. 

what are BSF?

thanks for the advice

Meg Stout said:

I use bluegill and they do fine on pellets. They do love it when I toss in worms and I presume they snap up the slugs I toss in from time to time. I can buy 50 pounds of 'lil strike pond  pellets for under $20. I'd love to get to self sustainability with worms and BSF, but it's nice to know I can feed my fish inexpensively while I'm waiting for the rest of my stuff to get working. 

My bluegill love them but they're slow to get going at my place this year.

http://blacksoldierfly.blogspot.com/

Gerrit Nathan King said:

what are BSF?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2019   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service