Aquaponic Gardening

A Community and Forum For Aquaponic Gardeners

I had to drive from Santa Barbara to San Diego to buy 50 Tilapia fry. Does anyone know of anywhere in Southern California where I can get some larger models? Does one of the commercial farms by the Salton Sea sell live fish? Thanks Andy

Views: 1478

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm actually kinda surprised you were able to get tilapia fry in California without special permits and such, I didn't think they were legal there without aquaculture licenses and such.

Luckily, with tilapia if you feed the fry quality high protein feed and keep the water good and warm (80-86 F or even more), they will grow fast.
Thanks, but I wanted to get some larger fish to get my veggies growing faster. As long as you are in So. Ca. it is OK to have Tilapia.
Well, if you can't easily get larger fish, high protein feed can really up the nutrients being cycled up a system as well as help get the small tilapia growing faster
Talk to my man Ted. He is down your way. Tell him I sent ya. tedhill@buckslips.com
You can catch them at salt and sea. I got about 25 fingerlings there in august wasnt much fun. Theres a list on state of california department of game and fish.
I'm in SLO ....what kind of fish can we get up here??? I just sent a friend request to you! We're going to SD a lot and still have family so is that where we have to get the fish??? How do you keep it for 5 hrs??? etc??? Is SLO still considered So Ca.??? Can Tilapia handle cooler water in the winter???? How about BASS???

Are any of you concernced about PVC pipes and lead...phlatates, etc...xenoestrogens?? I found out that there is BOTANICARE that sells food grade pipes....Just discovered a consumer report on how there is excess lead in some garden hoses made of PVC (Supposedly lead in stabilizer) and then the glue??

Many garden hoses are made of PVC (polyvinyl chloride) - a toxic plastic - and lead is often used as a stabilizer in PVC. The dangerous levels of lead in garden hoses could potentially cause lead poisoning, cancer, birth defects and/or reproductive harm

Dangerous levels of lead found in many garden hoses

Monday, July 25, 2011 by: Christina Luisa

California DFG has a no-tilapia "policy" for nor-cal, but the LAW does not support it, yet. O. Mossambicus and o. Hornorum are legal in all of California, trust me, I've battled the powers that be. I'll sell you some, and they'll be on your doorstep tomorrow

Hey Jon, 

I'm in Los Angeles area and may be interested, can you give me the low down.  thx

Jon Parr said:

California DFG has a no-tilapia "policy" for nor-cal, but the LAW does not support it, yet. O. Mossambicus and o. Hornorum are legal in all of California, trust me, I've battled the powers that be. I'll sell you some, and they'll be on your doorstep tomorrow

In LA they are legal in all respects, even for DFG approved aquaculture.  Try local Craigslist.  I bought my first fish from an LA CL ad, by a guy named Ted Hill, he's on this site, I think.  I'm happy to send you some as well, shoot me a note at jonparrco@gmail.com

Thanks Jon, but I've contacted Ted Hill and he said he's out of the business.

Jon Parr said:

In LA they are legal in all respects, even for DFG approved aquaculture.  Try local Craigslist.  I bought my first fish from an LA CL ad, by a guy named Ted Hill, he's on this site, I think.  I'm happy to send you some as well, shoot me a note at jonparrco@gmail.com

There's someone selling hawaiian gold fingerlings on san diego craigslist right now http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/grd/2842678542.html  east county SD I just saw the ad on a search, no connection

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2024   Created by Sylvia Bernstein.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service